HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Hi, my air conditioning unit is not running. I have had the…

Customer Question
Hi, my air conditioning unit...
Hi, my air conditioning unit is not running. I have had the thermostat set at 78 and the house has been 85. I went outside and the air conditioning unit is not running... it is about 5 years old. Is there anything I can do to fix it myself? Husband is gone for several days and I need this fixed asap. thank you!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/23/2010
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
Phil :

Hello, the unit may have a high pressure cut out switch with a manual reset button on it, a red one.. some times accessible through a small hole on the side of the unit.. if so, push it... if the unit then starts and run, let it run for a few minutes, then kill the power to the unit and use a hose to wash out the condenser from the outside being sure you dont squirt water clear through the coil onto the fan motor or other electrics.

Phil :

try all that and let me know what happens

Customer:

What is a condenser?

Phil :

the condenser is like the radiator on your car, it has a broad exposed survace with fins on it, and tubes inside running back and forth..

Customer:

Hi Phil, I have looked everywhere and there is no small hole with a button, there are warnings everywhere warning of electrical hazards! There is a small electical box above the unit but it looks to be in order. Any other suggestions?

Phil :

Hmmm. unless you are handy around electricity and have a multi meter there is not much I can do for you from here... except tell you how to keep cool with a small fan a spray bottle full of water. sit in front of the fan and spray yourself with water and you will be cool in a flash.

Phil :

You can do the pets the same way.. wash em in the tub the let them shake out..and turn em lose that will cool them off fast also. repeat when they dry out.