HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I just purchased my home and the inspection report said that…

Customer Question
I just purchased my home...
I just purchased my home and the inspection report said that the condenser was manufactured in 1998. The air blows through the vents however it is not cool. This started a couple of days ago. I went and out and looked at the unit and noticed that the unit was full of debris so I ran water over it to clean the condenser coils, when I did this the condenser fins??? started crumbling/flaking
off. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/21/2010
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 8 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

Hello. This is usally caused by an acid wash put on the condenser unit that did not get rinsed well...or...if you are near salt water. This is bad because it is the main heat transfer media. This unfortunately requires replacement of the unit.

Customer:

Could this be the reason that it all of sudden stopped cooling? The unit is not not near salt water so it must be the acid wash. Before purhchasing the home in April they had freon added to the unit as well

Billy :

Then I would say they had a "tune up" to make things cool as well as possible.....and yes this can affect the cooling greatly

Billy :

You could still have the leak also that deemed it necessary to put in more refigerant

Billy :

I for got to mention also....dog urine can do this