HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My air conditioner shut off and I found that the 15 volt air…

Customer Question
My air conditioner shut off...
My air conditioner shut off and I found that the 15 volt air handler outside breaker switch was tripped. I turned it on again and it switched off in about 5 seconds every time. I did it 10 times.

Could it be the breaker switch itself? It's now about 90 degrees inside my house. Can anyone help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/20/2010
HVAC Technician: Richard, Technical Manager replied 8 years ago
Richard, Technical Manager
Chat Conversation Started
Hello

Hello

do you have a meter you can use or are you willing to un hook some wires to test. I just want to know your abilities before we start

I don't see your answer. Are you there?
Yes I am maybe there is a problem with the site
Can you unhook the high voltage wires to the unit to see if it still trips the breaker?
I can turn off the main power and unhook wires. Yes.
The outside unit or the one in my attic?
Yes turn power off then try if it pops the breaker you may have a bad breaker or a short. If it only trips the breaker when it is hooked up look for burned wires. Out side unit
Let me run this back to you. Turn the "Main power off" and then back on again to see if it trips the breaker.
yes but disconnect the high voltage wires first. Tape them off we want to see if it will blow with nothing hooked up
OK, I pulled off the plastic cover to the main voltage wires and there was a bolt that I didn't see and it broke. The plastic encases the voltage wires and 2 of them came off and 2 are still bolted in. I will uhook them but I think in need a new plastic housing. Do you kbnpw if that kind of thing is sold at Lowes?
I also did what you said and tried to turn the air handler on after the wires were disconne
cted, I just disconnected the high pwer volteage connections to the unit and the air handler main breaker switch shut off agian when I flipped it on. Would that be an indicator that it might be my breaker switch?

Hello

Yes you could try to replace the breaker or you might need an electrician. it the breaker tripped with the high voltage wires off there is a short or failed breaker.

Thank you