HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Hi,My old 30yrs plus thermostat is acting funny. Celsius…

Customer Question
Hi, My old 30yrs plus thermostat...
My old 30yrs plus thermostat is acting funny. Celsius on left, Fahrenheit on right, and unless it is set to on position it won't start running at all. Then in the on position of course it never shuts off. When the unit is in off positon it will make a clicking noise once in a while.
Thanks,
Helene

***I am out of work 1-1/2 yrs and would rather not have to buy anything.

***The unit is turned off but it just clicked like it is try to turn on!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/17/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
gotoman for ac :

Your thermostat is going bad need to replace it. 30 years is good service for a thermostat.Russ

Customer:

How do I replace it myself and what can I buy that is not too expensive...there is something that looks like a circuit board when I take off this cover, does that come off also when I replace it??

gotoman for ac :

What are you controling with the thermostat gas heat,air conditioner or hot water, Russ

Customer:

i'm controlling ac/ heating

Customer: Hi,
Customer: I am controlling a/c
gotoman for ac :

You can get an a thermostat for about 20.00 that will work well for heat and cool. Very easy to install. You will take thermostat off wall and you will have Red ,white green and yellow wires. Just connect to matching terminals on new tstat. Russ

Customer: thanks very much!!!
gotoman for ac :

You are welcome get ack to me if you have more questions. Russ