HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

air conditioner runs but cool air doesnt come through the…

Customer Question
air conditioner runs (interior and...
air conditioner runs (interior and exterior) but cool air doesn't come through the vents, water accumulating around the inside unit, had coolant leakage problems in the past, spending lots of money every year
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2010
HVAC Technician: Douglas, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Douglas :

This generally means the indoor coil has iced over. It means the coil is now a block of ice and of course air cannot go through ice. You will need to shut your unit down for several hours to allow this coil to melt. Trust me when I say, it must be melted before you can do anything else to it.

Douglas :

The question then becomes... why? A frozen coil comes from 2 general things... Low load or low refrigerant charge. Since you have had low referigerant issues before, it's likely low on charge again. If the leak has not been repaired, it will continue to leak. Your job will be to make sure the filter is clean. A plugged filter can cause low load (low airflow) and therefore the heat cannot be absorbed to keep the coil above freezing.Also make sure all the vents are open and not obstructed. If the airflow is good you probably need to have some refrigerant added. While the tech is doing that, he needs to find the leak and you may need to tell him to do that. Refrigerant prices are going up rapidly and this needs to be the last time you add refrigerant to the system.

Douglas :

In the mean time, turn your unit off until the ice is gone.

Customer:

Thanks Aoughlas! As you mentioned the prices are going up and also the leaks are hazardous to environment, what should a permanent fix to this issue? What is the average cost to repair leaks? I dont' remember if the tech did it last year but can leaks show up again?

Customer:

Thanks Doughlas! As you mentioned the prices are going up and also the leaks are hazardous to environment, what should a permanent fix to this issue? What is the average cost to repair leaks? I dont' remember if the tech did it last year but can leaks show up again?

Douglas :

Cost is going to be various. Refrigerant prices may be close to $30 USD per pound right now. R-22 is being phased out so it will only go higher. Basically the cost of the repair is time and material. Depending on the age of the equipement, it may be time to consider replacing the system. Obviously, I cannot see your system and it's difficult to make that call but I would say if your system is over 10 years old. I would be very careful about putting any real money into it.