HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

suction head

Customer Question
I have a cooling issue-...
I have a cooling issue- inside upstairs unit working fine - a/c is fine until temps reach 85 outside. A/c tech said there is a suction head issue with a coil on the outside unit and fin damage. Everything needs to be replaced - totally new units inside and out. Does this sound correct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/13/2010
HVAC Technician: Heath, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Heath
Heath, HVAC Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Heath :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be my pleasure to assist you. First things first if there is fin damage there is a tool that can be used to straighten them and 90% of the time its not extensive enough to cause the unit to malfunction. If there is an issue with suction pressure: What is the issue? TXV, Compressor, Filter Dryer restriction? What I am saying is there is a multitude of possibilities some are reasonable to fix some you might be better off replacing the outside unit. If its the compressor your better off replacing the outside unit. If its a TXv or filter dryer have it repairered for a few hundred bucks. As for the inside unit needing to be replaced it would depend on the type of system you have now and the one you are putting in. As now most companies are putting in 410a systems and your current system is probably r-22.

Customer:

All the tech said is that the coolant is not getting through the coil due to a blockage - outdoor unit has a high suction head pressure due to damaged coil said my dogs have ruined the coil. There are missing fins at the bottom of the unit.The fan on the outside runs fine - right now temp is 74 in the house but by late afternoon it cannot keep up with the heat. Is this the compressor you are talking about? My husband is currently in Iraq and due home July 9th - thought I might wait it out but the the temps in VA Beach have been in the 90's. My system is r-22 so does this mean everything has to be replaced? Is it not possible to replace just the outside? He said my system was fully charged.

Heath :

The outside unit could definitely be just be changed. There are still r-22 units out there you can buy to replace the existing on that you have. If all else I would have the outside unit replaced if there is a problem with the compressor and the fins are shot. This is probably the most economical to have done. I love VA. Beach and Williamsburgh real nice area.