HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

How to I calculate the cooling needs for a room measuring 12…

Customer Question
How to I calculate the...
How to I calculate the cooling needs for a room measuring 12 X 22 ft? It's the attic room of a 1950's cape cod in the midwest.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/12/2010
HVAC Technician: Richard, Technical Manager replied 8 years ago
Richard, Technical Manager
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello

Customer:

Hi.

Customer:

I appreciate the real time cahat

Customer:

chat

Richard :

You have about 264 square feet, the proper way to do this is to do a heat loss/heat gain on the structure. However , are you going to use a window unit or some sort of split ductless system. As a guess you would need about 1/2 ton or 6000 BTU. This is a guess, this all depend on the insulation, window and or sky lights. On average you need 1 ton of cooling for 500 to 700 square feet. Again the correct way to do this would be to have someone to a heat loss /gain on the room.

Richard :

Thank you

Richard :

let me know if i can be of more help.

Customer:

I was hoping to get away from the window unit and try to supply the room with my current central air system. I would imagine that would be more efficient than the window unit?

Richard :

Hello

Richard :

Hello

Richard :

What size unit do you have now and how big is the home? You need to be careful here it is not only the size of the unit but also can your existing duct system work

Customer:

I have a trane XL 80 with 1800 sq ft home, heat and cool one level. I have one supply duct to the upstair room. It's only they type that fit between wall studs, so not a lot. I do have the ability to run a 6 inch diameter supply duct instead of the current one, but am not sure if that's enough either.

HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
There is going to be more heat loss and gain in that room. A six inch duct only delivers 125 cfm. You will need two six inch ducts or one 8 inch duct to get proper air flow. You may need to add a return air also. Russ
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician