HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Hi neither my air or heat will come on. the thermostat works…

Customer Question
Hi neither my air or heat...
Hi
neither my air or heat will come on. the thermostat works to make the fan come on, I check out at the compressor and nothing is happening out there could it be the capacitor ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/12/2010
HVAC Technician: Tom, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom
Tom, HVAC Technician

Does it hum or buzz or do anything?

Have you checked the circuit breaker feeding the outside unit? Not the disconnect by the unit, but the breaker in your breaker box?

Tom

I checked the heat pump breakers in the box and nothing happened

If you've already checked power..you need to pull the disconnect by the a/c unit and pull the side panel off.

See if the compressor contactor is pulled in. It should look something like this.

View Full Image
The movable contacts should be in the down or closed position. You don't need the main power on to check this part. The contactor gets it's power through your thermostat and we need to see if it's pulling in. Can you hear it hum or buzz. It's powered by 24 volt from the indoor unit.

Also check the small thermostat leads going to the a/c unit. Make sure they haven't been damaged by a rodent or weed trimmer...happens all the time. The small brown lead wire is what supplies 24 volts to your contactor.

Check and let me know.

Tom

They are in good shape

Ok, you need to check and see if the relay is pulled in.

Tom

They are in good shape. It worked just fine yesterday. I realize a anything electrical can work fine and the just stop working

Where do I find the relay ?

Inside the outdoor compressor unit. You need to pull the disconnect switch by the unit. Take the panel off and you'll see the contactor inside. We just need to know if it's energized or not.

It is supplied 24 volts to actuate it by the indoor unit/thermostat.

Check and let me know.

Thanks! Tom

HI It will take me a while. I am in a wheel chair and I have no one here right now to run in and out

So I will have to get back to you later when I can get some help to get the tools to open up the unit.

Thanks

Ben

Tom

Edited by Tom on 6/13/2010 at 1:57 AM EST
No problem Ben, just let me know when you find out something.

Tom