HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a rheem 10 seer and just bought a honeywell rth 7500,

Customer Question
honeywell is of course closed...
I have a rheem 10 seer and just bought a honeywell rth 7500, honeywell is of course closed, and the thermostat that was previously installed was wrong. just wondering if anyone knows the colors codes and what to hook to what thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2010
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 8 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

Regular furnace and ac...or heat pump?

Customer:

heat pump

Customer:

well...its electric heater with heat pump

Billy :

What color wires do you have?

Customer:

orange, blue white yellow red green brown and a wire connecting rh to rc

Billy :

well lets clear a few out....red to rh/rc......green to G ....yellow to Y...white to Aux....brown to E....

Billy :

Now because it is a rheem the reverse valve could be B instead of O. Do you remember from last stat if B , O, or both had a wire attached?

Customer:

just bought the house...have no idea

Customer:

it wasnt hooked up when we moved in

Billy :

Ok...well if it is wrong we will just swap it.....for now put orange on O...and blue on C

Billy :

O energizes reverse valve for cooling...B for heat...so if we get heat instead of ac when set for cool, we will move to B

Customer:

ok thanks give me a min...browns common right?

Billy :

Brown will be E terminal

Customer:

no that blew the transformer

Billy :

brown is customary E unless you have black....blue is customary second stage cool or C. Go to air handler and see what the blue wire is attached to as well as the brown

Billy :

Keep in mind that the wiring was done at someones discretion in the air handle and heat pump unit...they might not have followed color code...thus it it involve tracing each wire to point of connection

Customer:

brown is common side of 24vac transformer blue goes to ac

Customer:

after looking at both wiring diagrams a brown wire isnt even hooked into the thermostat it comes off the 24v side of the transformer. all other colors are hooked to what they need to be according to rheem diagram, except white, theres a blue/white and a black/white that have been wired together to white for heater 1 and 2 inside furnace

Customer:

one more question, can you tap brown and red for heat pump 24v off transformer or do they have to be seperate wires from thermostat?

Billy :

They only have to be separate when they are from a different transformer. That is why some thermostat have Rc and Rh....Rc is for 24v from a transformer for cooling, Rh is 24v from a different transformer for heating. When the same transformer runs both functions the Rc and Rh (or R) are "jumped" together with a small bar or wire. If the 24v comes from same transformer you only need one supply to thermostat. It is what returns from thermostat that is important. Thermostat sends signals back as follows - w/aux for heat, y for compressor, b or o for reverse valve, g for fan, e for electric back up heat