Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

Just purchased a Trane xl20 i 5 ton unit- We live in 2 story

Customer Question

Just purchased a Trane xl20 i 5 ton unit- We live in 2 story home 2200 sq ft with 18 foot ceilings downstairs. With AC set to 76 system turns on in late afternoon (outside temp 85) and house goes down to 73 degrees. System than shuts off and temp rises to 76 and is maintained from there. Is is normal for the system to do this?
I have had tech out 3 times and everytime they tell me unit is working properly.
Any insight would be appreciated - THANKS ALAN
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be my pleasure to assist you. If the thermostat was set to 76 the temperature when the air comes on should be 77 or 78 and when the air shuts of it should be 75 or 74 depending on the thermostat. If you have an old dial style thermostat you could pop the ring off and there is a heat anticipator that has number and a slide that can adjust the amount of difference in temperature from when the unit kicks on and when it shuts off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The thermostat is a hi tech digital programable - During the say until the hottest part of the day the low voltage compressor comes on occsaaionally and maintains the 76 degress I have the thermostat set to. Later in the day , around 4 pm YOU CAN HEAR THE SYSTEM KICK ON (THE HIGH SETTNG OF THE 2 STAGE OOMPRESSOR)THE REMOPTE THEREMOMETER i HAVE DOWNSTAIRS GOES DOWN TO 73 DEGREES - i JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND - IS THIS THE WAY A 2 STAGE SYSTEM SHOULD OPERATE? iS IT NORMAL FOR THE HOUSE TO BE COOLER THAN THE TEMP THE THERMOSTAT IS SET TO? - THANKS
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 7 years ago.
The accept should go to Heath. With the system you have the thermostat should control perfectly. If it says 76 it should be 76. The location of the thermostat may have something to do with it. It should not be in direct sunlight or on any outside wall. Near the main return is the best place to locate thermostat. Your system is the best on market. Russ Old GE/Trane Engineer
Expert:  Heath replied 7 years ago.
There may be places in the house that are cooler than where the thermostat is located. If this is the case then you may need an air balance done on your system to try and equalize temperature throughout the house. The thermostat is usually located in a central location to try and keep the areas it serves at a desirable temperature.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE HUMIDITY WAS SET TO 50% WHICH CAUSED THE COMPRESSOR TO STAY ON TO TRY TO BRING DOWN THE HUMIDITY THUS FURTHER COOLING THE HOME. ONCE THE HUMIDITY WAS CGANGED TO 55 % THE PROBLEM WAS GONE.

.
THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE HUMIDITY WAS SET TO 50% WHICH CAUSED THE COMPRESSOR TO STAY ON TO TRY TO BRING DOWN THE HUMIDITY THUS FURTHER COOLING THE HOME. ONCE THE HUMIDITY WAS CGANGED TO 55 % THE PROBLEM WAS GONE.

Expert:  Douglas replied 7 years ago.
Well, the problem is gone temporarily. Depending on the thermostat and uit, it appears that it is set for passive dehumidification. If it were set to active, it would not overshoot the thermostat setting but it would control the indoor blower speed and do a better job of dehumidifying when it's on.

Dont accept my answer, I am just helping out