HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Burning Smell Coming From Furnace Vents. What Could It Be?

Customer Question
Burning smell coming from vents...

Burning smell coming from vents. Just changed filter last month. What is it?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2010
HVAC Technician: freon, Licensed A/C Contractor replied 7 years ago
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor

I would like to help you. Are you in the heating mode or cooling?

I was in heating mode but, turned the heater off

Normally this burning smell could be: electric heat strips or gas furnace start up if for the first time in a while. Next if you have already been running the unit for a while, it may be the blower motor over heating. Do you have gas or electric heating?

It is electric heating

Has the heating been off for a while?

Only for about a half an hour... Would it take longer for the smell to go away?

Well at this point I am not sure if the smell was from the heat strips or if it is from the motor overheating. Now is the fan running still or has it turned off? You may also check this by turning on your fan at the thermostat. Switch it from auto to on position.

Would the fan make the smell come out?

Yes. But we need to check and make sure the fan is working.... It may have burned up. How old is this heater?

Let me go run the fan and see.... About 3 years old, not too old...

Ok great, I hope you are not using pleated filters! They really make your system work hard and usually cost you a lot of extra money in utility costs!!!

I just turned the fan on and it seems to still smell through the vents.... What else do you use for filters?

Oh you have been using the pleated kind! Here is why I say this... Most people have return air systems that are marginal at best. If you take and put this highly resistive pleated filter in place of the poly (cheep) type you are hurting your system. Some have even ruined the blower motor. Now I am not positive that this is what has occurred at your home but something is definitely wrong.

Do you feel air coming out of the vents?If you see smoke then turn unit off. And call for service. If you can you should also turn off the breaker that services this electric furnace. Do you see smoke?

No smoke, but I think the filter was brown in an area that may have been burnt. What filter should we buy?

Well honestly I don't see how the filter could be burning. Do you have an electronic air cleaner attached to your Electric furnace? The cheep filter is called a poly filter or fiber glass filter... They usually run about two dollars at the builders supply store.

Ok we will have to get the other filter. I don't know about the electronic air cleaner...

Ok let me be clear... Did you buy an electronic air cleaner and have it installed at your home? This is part of your a/c system and can make the burning smell if you have one of these.

No we didn't buy an electric air cleaner... Should we still replace the filter and see if that is the problem?

Yes. Your motor may have sustained damage... I don't know for sure. However you have been smelling the burning smell and I think it is important for us to figure what is causing it.

Replacing the filter is a long range solution. The short term solution is to remove the pleated filter and run the system for a few hours and see if this helps clear the burning smell.

So remove the pleated filter and replace it with the other one and see if that solves the problem??

Yes. Try this and see if the burning smell goes away.

freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor
freon
freon
freon, Licensed A/C Contractor