HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

we are trying to hook up a honeywell auto thermostat RTH7500…

Customer Question
we are trying to hook...
we are trying to hook up a honeywell auto thermostat RTH7500 it is a second unit we have a split system with gas and electric heatpump. we have this same thermostat downstairs and we are trying to get this one upstairs installed. We have it wired but it will not come on. we talked to technical services but did not get anywhere do you have any help. We have codes set to 170-7, 270-9 , 330-2, 640-12. thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/21/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
When you say it will not come on. Will the fan run in the on position. Did you turn power off to unit when you installed thermostat. Rus
no the fan will not come on. nothing will run. It will click like it is going to tell it to come on but nothing happens. No the power was not turned off when installing. and we have flipped the breaker off and back on to make sure it was not the breaker.
Go to what ever you are controlling with this thermostat. Sounds like you blew a fuse. It will be located in line on 24 volt transformer or on fan or igniter board. What Model is your unit. Rus
It is not the unit we are trying to fix we are trying get a new honeywell automatic thermostat installed. My husband is checking the fuse now but we don't think it is a fuse.
I wanted to know model so I could tell you were fuse is located. Rus

It is a Frigidaire split system with gas and electric heatpump. the unit is about 8 years old. There is a large unit in the basement and a small unit in the attic one controls downstairs and one controls the upstairs.

Thank you. How about the fuse. Do you have a voltmeter. I will pull manual. Rus
no I don't have a voltmeter (don't know what that is) Do you know where we need to look for the fuse?
Just look inside blower door on furnace and check to see if lights are on. If not the fuse should be on fan board. Rus
okay I will check for the fuse. I think I may have to call the repair man tomorrow. thanks
Your welcome.

I found the fuse. It is blown how do I keep from blowing it again

You just touch the wrong wires together at thermostat. Replace it and everyhting should work. I will be here 4 more hours. Good Job
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

I am going to go and buy a fuse do you know about the thermostat does it sound like it was hooked up correctly?

Yes it does. I blow fuses all the time trying to hook up thermostat hot. Rus