HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a totaline thermostat. The red light comes on for the

Customer Question
I have a totaline thermostat...
I have a totaline thermostat. The redlight comes on for the heat, and I can hear the unit upstair kind of turn on...but no heat is blowing through the vents. The a/c works fine any help??
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/13/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 7 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Are you controlling a heat pump,electric heat or gas. Rus
its not a heat pump. its a unit upstairs in the attic.....i think its gas and electric is that posible
If you are availabe I really need help on this please
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 7 years ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
It sounds like you have gas heat. The sound you hear when the red light first comes on may be the induced draft motor or the burners firing. Is there any chance you can go into the attic to see what type of system you have and exactly what its doing?
I just went up there. I opened the front panels. The burners ignite automatically, but I don't hear that fan sound cranking up afterwards.....I let it run a few....but the burners just stay on...but no fan I guess
Okay, we've eliminated the t-stat as being the problem. Can you see a model and serial # XXXXX the furnace? Is there a board inside that may be flashing a diagnostic code?
The board inside has the green light heartbeat (dim then light), which according to the manual was normal operation (flashing at different times would have been a problem) Is it possible that there is a reset switch on the fan, or the belt could just have broken?

There won't be a reset on the fan... if there is a limit that tripped, the unit wouldn't allow the burners to come on. If its a newer system, it probably doesn't have a belt either. If it does then its very possible that it broke and needs replacing.

If the motor doesn't have a belt, then voltage needs to be checked to see if the board is trying to tun fan on. If it is sending voltage to motor, then the capacitor needs to be checked. If the motor has voltage, and the capacitor checks good, then the motor is likely bad.

Regan Land
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician