Bill P.
Bill P., HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  Oil / Gas / A/C / Hydronics
27612996

OIL heater wont start back up. Bled the line. Theres oil. blower

Customer Question

OIL heater wont start back up. Bled the line. Theres oil. blower keeps spinning then the reset kicks off. Reset again and just kick off after cycling. No spark. I messed with the valve for the oil line next to the box does this screw down or up to be on? How do I test why the spark is not happening?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bill P. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there. What is the model of your unit and what make and model is the oil burner. Is there any way you could take a picture of the valve? Most valves open by turning counterclockwise, but some burners have a fire safety valve that opens by turning clockwise.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the ignitor is a beckett, the relay box gray is a honeywell, the oil boiler is a waterair. I think I have the valve open all the way. Is that o.k.? The main problem is no spark.
Expert:  Bill P. replied 7 years ago.
Ok good, so the honeywell control is likely a model 8184 then. If you were able to bleed oil from the pump for any amount of time, then the valve must be in the open position, which is good.
You have already tested the igniter? the screwdriver test or? Is the actual igniter a beckett or the burner itself.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The igniter is a beckett. The main boiler is a waterair. I have taken pictures with my blackberry. I could send them to you. How? Is the burner the main big furnace or the box under the igniter? I have not done the screwdriver test. How?
Expert:  Bill P. replied 7 years ago.
The burner is the box under the ignitor, The burner is the box unit as a whole i guess (oil pump,burner motor,relay, igniter etc.) You could send a pic of the burner if you want, use the tree in the text box tools.

Ok, just i thought you maybe had, because you said you had no spark. First are you sure there is oil spraying into the combustion chamber? when the burner runs, you should see a mist of oil though an inspection hole if there is one. If there is spark you should be able to hear it zapping away likely.

To check spark-
Turn power off to whole unit, unscrew the grey relay, undernieth, there is an orange wire coming out of the relay, take the black wire coming from the burner motor off the orange and put the wire connector back on the orange (this will leave power to the igniter). Flip ignitor back towards you (2 screws at the front). with power still off, press the reset button on the relay. get a good screw driver with no cracks in it. You will have somone run the power switch for you. take the screwdriver and lay it accross the springs of the igniter and get them to turn the power on. see how far the spark jumps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Bill P. replied 7 years ago.
Looks like the valve is in the correct position. Have you looked to see if you have a mist of oil in the chamber when the burner is firing, and like i say, you might be able to hear the spark. It may be that your nozzle has plugged, or there is a chunk of junk or carbon at the end of the drawer assembly (the nozzle is at the end of this). You can pull the drawer assy. out, you already know how to flip the igniter back, take the small oil line on the left side off, and other little nut, then slide the assy, to the right, up and pull out.
Let me know how its going. I don't know how much longer ill be on tonight.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did not see a mist. So I intuitively have been pulling that assembly out. There was some gunk on the end so I cleaned with alcohol. I am about to put it back. I do hear clicking ... probably the ignitor trying to light it when I run it. I will keep you posted when I get it back together... about 10 min.
Expert:  Bill P. replied 7 years ago.
Are you sure there is no air in the oil lines or anything? You were bleeding the oil through that little bleeder screw visible in the pic you sent me right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I bled it again to make sure. Still nothing though... even after cleaning the nosel. No mist that I can see.
Expert:  Bill P. replied 7 years ago.
OK lets make sure the pump is pumping, We know its pumping through the bleeder, but take the oil line off the drawer assy., loosen the pump end of the line, and adjust the line so you can direct it into a container (then tighten the pump end of the line again), now try the burner, there should be a nice stream of oil come out of that into the container.
Usually you can see a light mist of fuel in there so try this first. we'll go from there
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did what you suggested and its pumping fine up to the burner aparatus.
Expert:  Bill P. replied 7 years ago.
Ok, If you don't think there is any oil spraying in the chamber then the nozzle must be plugged, they don't usually plug completely but it can happen. Is there any old nozzle kicking around the boiler or in the rafters or anywhere? Did you ever check the transformer or not because you got on the no oil track?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No the wires were not as accessable as you suggested. I am probably done for the night. thanks for all the help. I'll use the space heater and blankets.
Expert:  Bill P. replied 7 years ago.
Sorry we couldnt get it going, im sure youre tired of messing with the oil all night! I would pick up a nozzle tomorrow, (get the correct one, the numbers will be on the one thats in there now) and try that. Let me know how that goes and any other questions.