Mike, HVAC Technician
Experience:  20 years experience with installation and service of residential/ light commercial HVAC equipment.
29537151

I just bought a Monessen Gas Logs 24 Inch Berkley Oak Vent

Customer Question

I just bought a Monessen Gas Logs 24 Inch Berkley Oak Vent Free Propane Gas Log Set and cabinet. I have had the gas company check it... Watson's (where I bought it) check it. I still smell gas when I burn it. I have burned it a lot with the window open. It makes a big pop sound when I turn it on and off. The right hand side won't light right. This is a problem when I use the thermostate setting.... Everyone says that it is fine and that I may have to blow on it a little to get all the burner to light. Oh, and I need to move around the woolrock until I get it right... Not happy... it makes me sad that I paid so much for this unit.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
I would take the gas log back and get a refund. Sounds like a defect.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So I am not crazy...lol

Everyone acts like I am expecting to much for the fireplace. I will contact Watson's and see if they will replace the whole thing. They told me they would replace the logs, but not the burner unit. Said that maybe the logs were bad or something.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

It sounds the gas pressure needs checked, the flame could be igniting at the primary air inlet.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.