HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Coleman furnace flashing light 4 times. What does that mean?

Coleman furnace flashing light 4...

12/29/2009
Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician

Is the amber light flashing or is the red light flashing?

green light flashing 4 times i have no manual to check diagnostic code
OK... is the blower just running constantly or did the whole unit shut down?
it runs and blows hot air but it only runs for a few min and then green light . then i go and turn it off and on and it works again getting tired of getting up at the middle of the nite
Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician

Is this a standing pilot, spark ignition, or hot surface ignition furnace?

4 blinks is open limit circuit so if it comes back on by itself then it is the main limit tripping. This could be caused by a few things that effect your airflow through the furnace.

Dirty filter

Dirty evaporator coil

Malfunctioning blower motor

blocked returns

a stopped up heat exchanger

or a malfunctioning limit

This limit senses the temperature inside the heat exchanger and it the air is not moving across this heat exchanger sufficiently it will trip this limit until the blower gets the heat exchanger cooled down then it will allow the burners to ignite again or you have to manually turn power on then off to reset the limit. All of these other issues should be addressed before replacing the limit because if there is an airflow issue then the new limit will just do the same exact thing this one is doing.

Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician

Thanks! How much does it cost to clean heat exchanger or do i need a new one its 1997 model DGATO7OBDD?

Most of the time it is a dirty filter or the evaporator coil which is the A/C portion that sits on top of the furnace that is the problem. A heat exchanger this old should not be full of soot and rust unless this unit sits in an open crawl or a damp basement.
Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Matthew
Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician