Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

My carrier weathermaker 9200 LED code flashes #24 which is

My carrier weathermaker 9200 LED code flashes #24 which is a short circuit in the secondary voltage line. I just switched out the thermostat...how can I fix? Furnace will not start.

Did you replace the thermostat in response to this or, the problem came afterward ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had to re-route the wires because of some rehab. When I plugged them into the thermostat, the furnace did not work. I then bought a new thermostat and plugged the wires in and still nothing. So then I took the furnace apart and found the LED code.

Ok disconnect the yellow wire off the furnace, its on the circuit board on the y terminal, let me know, ya got a wire crossed somewhere hopefully its for the air conditioning and not the furnace,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just have white and red wires. Do you want me to mess with the wires to the thermostat or to the furnace? I have only messed with the thermostat wires.

Is there no cooling attached ?

Furnace, Y terminal if there is a wire on it,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have 3 cables into the circuit board of the furnance. Each has a red and white wire. One is attached to the G and Y/Y2 spots. One is attached to the Com24V and Y/Y2 spots. And one is attached to the W and R spots. However, I only have two cables, each with a red and white wire coming into the thermostat. So I have one cable to the Rh(jumpered to the Rc spot) and W. The other cable is to the G and Y spot.

I disconnected the white wires at the furnace Y/Y2 spot and still got the same LED code. It must be how I attached the wires to the thermostat, right?

Probably but its easier to figure it out at the furnace if you remove all the wires except the ones on W and R and see if the unit will work,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mark - I still get the LED code 24 with only the W and R wires attached.

Ok take them off also then,

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Still getting the LED code 24.

That's not good , without any wires on you are getting the shorted fault ? If so you will end up replacing the circuit board.

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So that is the solution at this point?

yes, without wires on it there isn't much more to check, it has 24 volts and you didn't do anything to switch the polarity on it and it gives you a shorted code, it sure sounds like its dead.

Thanks

Mark