Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

Hello My heat pump was totally frozen over this morning.

Hello

My heat pump was totally frozen over this morning. The blades were unable to move. I went online and checked out what I should do. I turned the unit off at the thermostat, then poured warm water over the ice and coils until it was completely melted. I turned the unit back on, and the air blowing out from the top of the heat pump feels really cold. Almost immediately, the copper piping inside got a frost covering over them. Now, about an hour later, the coils are covered in frost. I have turned the unit onto emergency heat. Now what do I do? Do I need refridgerant? I have a call in for service, but would like some advice for in the mean time. Its about 35* outside. Thanks, Kathleen
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 7 years ago.
At 35 degrees outside your outdoor coil will be well below freezing, so it sounds like it's working ok as far as that goes. It does sound like it is not switching into or out of defrost like it should. Troubleshooting the defrost cycle can be tricky enough for a tech but if you can tell me what your heat pump name and model are, I might be able to give you some simple checks if you are willing and confident you can handle working in the control box of the unit. Of course we would turn power off first to find what we are looking for then once we turn it back, on you would short some test pins and watch for any blinking lights (depending on the model).

If you are not comfortable, I would suggest leaving EM heat on, and waiting for service.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The unit is a Payne. I'm not sure of the model #

To tell you the truth, I'm not comfortable with working the the control box. Thanks anyway.

Expert:  Douglas replied 7 years ago.
Yeah, I know, thats a tough call. I wish for you it would be a simple solution. It may very well just be a loose sensor, but know way to know for sure.

Stay warm on Emergency heat.

I hope I have been helpful. If I have done my job, please click accept. I realize it wasnt the answer you might have hoped but I think we are both more comfortable this way.

Have a good holiday season.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I talked with a Tech and he also said it sounds like the unit isn't going in and out of defrost mode properly. I'm staying on emergency heat until he gets here.
Expert:  Douglas replied 7 years ago.
Good plan. More often than not, it's a fairly non invasive repair.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.