HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Furnace is not working. Giving error code 13.

I have a Payne PG8JAA...
I have a Payne PG8JAA furnace that is sending code 13 and then turning into code 33 after about 5 minutes.
11/20/2009
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Did resetting the switches on the burners do anything?

No, it did not. The main fan just keeps running. In case you didn't already know:
Code 13: Limit Circuit Lockout
Code 33: Limit Circuit Fault
The instructions said that there would be an auto reset after it goes to code 33, so I waited the 3 hours and nothing happened.
I've also checked all the filters and the vents and everything is clean and clear. The unit is only a year old, and as you can tell from the images I've attached, it is very clean.

http://img25.imageshack.us/i/dsc00989f.jpg/
http://img23.imageshack.us/i/dsc00991mv.jpg/
http://img97.imageshack.us/i/dsc00992nr.jpg/

Behind the gas valve on the front wall is a 2"X4" rectangle plate with 2 wires attached to it. Turn power off and remove the 2 screws holding the plate in and remove the switch. Tap on the end a couple times and reinstall. This is a limit that is supposed to reset itself but can get stuck. Try that and get back to me with results

Okay.... This isn't a switch, unless I removed the wrong thing. Please verify...
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7985/dsc00993h.jpg

Ok that is a limit. Is this a down flow?

Yes it a down flow... Down flow meaning the heated air goes into the slab of the house and the intake is coming from the top...

That means you may have a limit in the blower section

While I was waiting for your response, I took the cover off of the blower section and was looking for something similar to what the other switches looked like; and could not find anything.
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7809/dsc00995o.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/14/dsc00994ni.jpg

Ok, lets get going on some elimination. Tape the safety door switch down. The code should start. Remove the 2 wires from the limit you took off earlier, don't let these touch ground or the 3 amp fuse on the circuit board will blow. Touch the metal ends of the 2 wires together and see if code stops. If not, put back on switch and try same thing with roll-outs.

Okay. I took the wires off the limiter (image I sent you before) and put a paper clip in between them. Powered up the unit and it works now. I have ignition and everything is operating normal (solid red light). So I have a bad limiter. Where would I be able to get a replacement and about how much do they cost?

You can buy the online for around 45-50 dollars. You could probably pick one up at a local heating shop for less than that. That limit is very common in many furnaces and will be a regular stock item. Jut take that one with you. You can try for temporary fix to hold a flame on the switch for 20 seconds and then put it in the freezer for 2-3 minutes. That sometimes un-sticks them, but I still think you should get a new one.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Excellent. Thank you very much!!

Actually I thank you. You have shown great patience and I appreciate it greatly.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech