HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

what is the basic difference between a mechanical thermostat

Customer Question
as opposed to a digital...
what is the basic difference between a mechanical thermostat as opposed to a digital thermostat. I have a steam heat boiler.

Also, I switched from mechanical to digital and it seems to work very different.

My question is, since I got the digital thermostat what happens is that sometimes the set temperature is reached and the bottom floor of the house gets heat but the 2nd floor does not because the thermostat shuts down the boiler. Is that because we have been having above normal temperature and the house is too warm.

When the temperature go down to normal winter temperatures I would assume the boiler will run for a longer time so that heat reaches the 2nd floor.

I live in Yonkers, NY.

Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
11/10/2009
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
HiCustomerbr />
What you suspect is likely the problem. The boiler isn't running long enough to push heat to the radiators furthest from the boiler. The way to mitigate this problem is to adjust the air vents on the radiators so that the radiators closest to the boiler and in the same room with the thermostat are on low numbers and those furthest from the boiler are on high numbers. Some air valves are not adjustable so you won't be able to balance the system like this unless you have adjustable air valves. Your problem probably has nothing to do with the thermostat
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor