Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

what is the basic difference between a mechanical thermostat

what is the basic difference between a mechanical thermostat as opposed to a digital thermostat. I have a steam heat boiler.

Also, I switched from mechanical to digital and it seems to work very different.

My question is, since I got the digital thermostat what happens is that sometimes the set temperature is reached and the bottom floor of the house gets heat but the 2nd floor does not because the thermostat shuts down the boiler. Is that because we have been having above normal temperature and the house is too warm.

When the temperature go down to normal winter temperatures I would assume the boiler will run for a longer time so that heat reaches the 2nd floor.

I live in Yonkers, NY.

Thank you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
What you suspect is likely the problem. The boiler isn't running long enough to push heat to the radiators furthest from the boiler. The way to mitigate this problem is to adjust the air vents on the radiators so that the radiators closest to the boiler and in the same room with the thermostat are on low numbers and those furthest from the boiler are on high numbers. Some air valves are not adjustable so you won't be able to balance the system like this unless you have adjustable air valves. Your problem probably has nothing to do with the thermostat