HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Whirlpool Furnace, Model # NUGG075DF01 Just lit pilot light OK.

Whirlpool Furnace, Model # XXXXX...
Whirlpool Furnace, Model # XXXXX Just lit pilot light=OK. Furnace fires=OK. Turn fan on thermostat to 'ON' fan works=OK. With all covers on and secure, furnace fires, but fan does not come on automatically. Thermostat set to 'FAN-AUTO'. Is there a temp sensor or relay that needs replacement? Is there a schematic available?
10/17/2009
Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Do you have a device that looks like the following picture? I do not have a diagram.
graphic

Yes, I have a device that looks like the picture.

That device acts as a hi limit, and fan delay.

Two wires are going to be the power to the fan.

The other two will be the control voltage to the switch.

Do you see that?

Yes, 2 yellow wires, 1 goes to FAN load, and 1 FAN line

and 2 orange wires, 1 goes to LIMIT load, and 1 LIMIT line.

OK

When in cooling your fan will run by getting power from another relay.

When in heating your fan will run by getting power from that limit switch.

So to check voltage you will measure from the neutral to the fan load.

This is a way to make the fan run at different speeds.

On a temperature rise the switch will close the fan line and load which will give the low or medium speed to the fan power.

Please respond with any further questions, or concerns.

Does this sound like a defective FAN/LIMIT switch? What is this switch called and how can I order a replacement?

I can see the dial rotate as temp rises, but I'm thinking it doesn't close the contacts to turn on the fan.

Just want to make sure I'm understanding what is occurring..

Thanks

You are correct Leon, this does sound like a defective switch.

However you can confirm this by measuring the resistance across the fan load and line, or you can measure voltage.

What is your zip code, I will see if I can find a location for you.
Zip code is: 30078
The following locations will be able to get you the part you need.

#J4 LAWRENCEVILLE, GA
2105 Newpoint Pl. Ste 300
Lawrenceville, GANNN-NN-NNNNbr />PHONE:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />FAX:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Saturday Hours: CLOSED

#H3 CONYERS, GAXXXXXNW
Conyers, GANNN-NN-NNNNbr />PHONE:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />FAX:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Saturday Hours: CLOSED
Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician
Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician