Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

how do you convert hot water cast iron radiators into btu

how do you convert hot water cast iron radiators into btu's
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 8 years ago.

Need to know the height of them, do you have that measurement ?

Thanks

Mark

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if you have a free standing tube radiator,if it is a steam system i know you calculate the radiator into square feet.but how do you convert the same radiator into btu's if it is a hot water system?
Expert:  Rick replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
There is a table that gives specific values for different sizes and configs of cast iron radiators. It is too complex for me to post it here but if you give me the sizes of your rads I can give your their output at a given water temp. I need the height of the rad measured from the floor to the top, the number of sections (count tubes from the side of the rad) and number of tubes per section (count tubes looking at the end of the rad)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have radiator charts to calculate the sqft for steam radiators.My question is ,i know that steam is figured out in sqft.A sqft of steam radiation is 240 btu's per sqft.Somebody told me that hot water cast iron radiators is 150 btu's per sqft.So do i use the radiator steam chart by multiplying the steam sqft by 150 btu's per sqft?
Expert:  Rick replied 8 years ago.
At 180 degrees a sq ft of radiation will put out 170 btu's at 170 a sq ft = 150 btu's
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.