How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ryan V. Your Own Question
Ryan V.
Ryan V., HVAC Mechanic
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 27
Experience:  16 years in the HVAC industry. Including service, installation and design of HVAC systems.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Ryan V. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 1950 era gas wall heater has a Honeywell valve, pilot thermocouple

This answer was rated:

My 1950 era gas wall heater has a Honeywell valve, pilot thermocouple and a temp. control, probably millivolt. The pilot doesn't stay lit and the main valve never opens. I've taken the valve out of the heater. Are parts available for this valve or do I need to replace it? It doesn't seem to have a model no. Each module is stamped with a different number, such as V5106A   or C5281B or T5298A. Any help will be much appreciated.
What model (brand) is the wall unit? Is it the original gas valve?

Edited by Ryan V. on 9/17/2009 at 3:55 AM EST
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes it's the original gas valve. The heater is Mission Appliance Co, Hawthorne, Calif

In my opinion, with the age of the valve. It should be replaced. You will be very hard pressed to find a part for it. If you take the valve to a local Johnstone Supply or other HVACR supply house. they will most likely be able to give you a crossover gas valve that will work just fine.
Ryan V. and 2 other HVAC Specialists are ready to help you
This is the number to Mission appliance. they are now based in texas(NNN) NNN-NNNN