Mark Henley
Mark Henley, Journeyman Technician
Experience:  UA Journeyman Pipefitter , HVAC, Refrigeration, DDC controls. 26 years.Commercial & residential
10307865

My AC has stopped blowing cold. The compressor unit outside

My AC has stopped blowing cold. The compressor unit outside is on but does not sound like the compressor is on. The unit sounds like it is cycleing down but then the fan picks up again. Is ther a quick fix to this?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Mark Henley replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like it is cycling on the thermal overload. You will most likely need a service call on it.

I would shut the unit down.

Thanks

Mark
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is that anything I can fix? Just a sensor?

Unfortunately its inside the compressor, it is sensing heat and shutting it down.

Thanks

Mark
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does this require a full compressor replacement or they just need to get into the compressor and hit a rest button? Thanks

No , they need to determine the cause of the overheat problem and correct that. You could try replacing the capacitor and making sure the coil is clean , those are really the only two DIY things you can do but more than likely it will need a tech to look at it if its going off on overload.

Thanks

Mark