HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a 220 volt commercial walkin cooler. I would like to

I have a 220 volt...
I have a 220 volt commercial walkin cooler. I would like to defrost it hourly. I am looking for a way to shut down the compressor, automatically, for ten to fifteen minutes per hour during the day. The humidity causes the cooling head to ice up within a couple of hours. I can do it manually, but I often get busy and pretty soon I have warm beer.
7/12/2009
Electrifier
Electrifier, Mechanical Inspector
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Bob - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Does your condenser have a defrost cycle that operates now?
What kind of condenser is it that you have? Do you have the model number?

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
The condensor in the walkin does not have a defrost. There is one on the compressor. I need to shut the compressor down to defrost it. Shutting the head down, the compressor will still keep it frozen, Will go look for the walkin condensor model number.
The unit outside, the compressor and coils, has the timer for defrost. It shuts it down for as long as I set it. 1/2 hour to several hours. But with the icing up of the cooling coils in the walkin, the cooling head, requires me to shut down the compressor more often. The cooling unit inside the walkin is a 120 volt with fans. Shutting the fans down won't defrost it. I need to shut down the 220 volt compressor, so the unit in the walkin will warm and defrost. So I need a timer capable of shutting down a 220 V current for up to fifteen minutes per hour.

Coolers and freezers have different defrost requirements. A walk in cooler will not have any defrost warming devices inside the cooler like a freezer would have. I have worked with freezer cases with electric heaters to defrost the coils but coolers do not need this. The coolers are always defrosted by shutting down the outside compressor as needed to allow the defrosting to take place. You will have to set your defrost timer outside to give you the required defrost time to keep the inside coils free of ice buildup. Set the defrost timer to give you your 15 minutes out of every hour or whatever you can get away with. The inside fans will still run continually, the compressor will stop to allow the warming just enough to prevent icing up. Are you limited as to how many defrost cycles you can have, how frequently they will run?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Electrifier
Electrifier, Mechanical Inspector
It is limited to one defrost cycle in 24 hours. I am looking for a way to shut it down for a maximum of fifteen minutes. Ten minutes every hour would work and not cause product to warm. Is there a timer available that will help me do this. I have looked at hot tub times but can't seem to find anything that will allow me to do this.

Using a different clock will do the job for you. Does this clock have pins that are inserted to trigger defrost start and stop?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Just checked it, there are screw holes, there is only one screw in it. I set this a couple of years ago.

Each hole represents a possible set point. The timer should have set point instructions included. Is this an "Intermatic" timer? What is the model # XXXXX the timer?

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Checked it out. Have installed more pins for most two hour marks, with a twenty minute defrost. Thank you! I am satisfied. You guys are great.

Thank you for the kind words. Glad the solution was easy for you.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
Electrifier
Electrifier
Electrifier, Mechanical Inspector