HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Furnace Water Drain Wont Drain Water. How To Fix It?

Customer Question
The water drain line won't...

The water drain line won't drain the water. When I take it off, the water comes pouring out. I reattach it.....nothing. I checked the line with pressurized water and it's not clogged. What's going on and how do I fix it?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2009
HVAC Technician: Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Kenton Guidry
Kenton Guidry, HVAC Technician

Does the drain line slope upward, or is it installed at a downward slope?

It is installed on the side of the furnace and goes downward for about a foot then sideways across the unit and then back down the other side of the unit. It then is basically horizontal on the floor for 12 feet and empties into the sump.

Is there anyway you would be willing to take a picture of your system and post it on here?
Have you always had this problem with it not draining?

As far as I know it has drained. The furnace was new last year. They kept the upper part of the furnace as is though which includes the drain.

I could post. graphic

What efficiency is your furnace?
Is the drain that you are referring to the clear tubing?

That is the clear tubing. Correct.

It is high efficiency. 95%

The clear tubing is connected to your evaporator. The condensation that builds up will collect into your drain pan and then to drain.
It should drip very slowly into the drain.
Does it drip slowly?

Right now the air is on pretty high since it was 90 most of the day and will be tomorrow and still humid. Feels decent inside though but I know it's working hard.

With that in mind, the water is draining pretty heavy right now. You can actually see the drip in this picture.graphic

The more humid the air the more condensation you will have.
Looks like your drain is working.

I agree, but only when the hose is not attached. When I attach the hose, the water doesn't drain. It backs up into the system. I heard the water splashing on the ground because it was coming out of the bottom of the nozzle after backing up inside the system instead of going down the hose. When the hose comes off, the water comes gushing out. Hose back on.....no drainage.

Does this hose at anytime go higher than where the drain is in the last picture you showed me.

Nope. That's the high point.

HVAC Technician: Rick Mather, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician

Make a P-Trap right after it exits the coil so it won't suck back in with vacuum effect. The trap should be 3" deep or so then it will drain properly.

You can use 3/4" pvc fittings to make it up. Its cheap and works well.

I asked the hardware store guy and he had no clue what a P trap for a central air system was. He was thinking a T, but that doesn't sound like what you want me to do. He thought this would allow the air in so the vacuum effect would cease.

You just have to come out of the drain pan, attach a 90 degree elbow, face it down; then another elbow, face horizontal, then back up then back horizontal and to your drain. Just like whats on a sink drain but made with elbows.

Ok I got it now. It already has the elbow coming out of the drain pan. I can do the rest. As far as I know this never happened before, but we did get a new high efficiency furnace last year. 95% would that have caused this vacuum?

The air going by the drain fitting makes a slight vacuum not allowing the water to drain properly. A P-trap overcomes this vacuum effect.

Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Rick Mather
Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician