HVAC

I live in a small 58 year old house with the origianl Luxaire…

I live in a small...
I live in a small 58 year old house with the origianl Luxaire gas furnace. We do not hve any central air conditioning. Other than periodic maintenance servicing the furnace has worked fine.
Normally every March or April I turn the manual Honeywell thermostat setting all the way down to 50 and the... Read full answer
Normally every March or April I turn the manual Honeywell thermostat setting all the way down to 50 and the furnace cuts off. A month ago I turned the thermostat down but the furnace blower continues constantly to blow cool air. The temperature reads 74 all the time. Does this sound like thermostat misfunction or some kind of furnace blower problem. Can you suggest what I, a non-mechanical women can check?   The thermostat was installed by a HVAC friend of mine (moved out of the area) about 15 years ago and has always been fine.   Many Thanks,
Patricia, Fairfax, Virginia
5/26/2009
Jim Eastwood
Jim Eastwood, HVAC Mechanic
Pepper The problem is likely that the fan switch is stuck it also may have a button on the cover that if put in the wrong position can cause the fan to run all the time. You can simply turn the breaker of to the furnace for now but to fix and or diagnose it will require going down to the furnace are you or someone there willing to go to the furnace if so i can give you further instructions.
Are you thereAre you there

I did a reply- not sure if you got it. I am not at home but will be tonight to look at the furnace- it is in a small utility room on the side of the house- noone could have changed the fan setting but I will see what kind of buttons are on the furnace. The Honeywell thermostat in the hall reads 74 degrees constantly even though it has been in the 80's the last four days, and 50-60s at night. I have a window open. Is that a seperate problem or would it relate to the furnace blowing air. THANKS Jim
That is a seperate problem if the diplay of the actual temperature is not accurate a new thermostat will be needed the fan switch will likely be silver and be mounted above the burners it will say honeywell or white rogers on the cover.you sometimes can stop the fan by just tapping the cover to fix you will likely have to replace the fan limit switch although you might be able to fix temporarily by tapping or removing cover and moving pin set on lowest temp probably 90 to a setting 10 degrees warmer this might shut the fan off.

I will look at the furnace tonight in the utility room to check for a fan switch. It just seems too coincidental that when I turned the manual thermostat in the hall all the way down to stop the heating that the blower fan decided to keep on continually blowing since then.

Thank you- I will check back with you tomorrow.

O k
I checked the furnace- there is a small silver box with a red button - it says Honeywell. Its on the front of the furnace. Also to the right of the furnace attached to the wall is a round mounted switch with a on/off toggle currently set on on. This mounted switch runs into a box that says transformer and a model # XXXXX then to the furnace via spiraly looking tubing. Sorry if my description is wierd. To turn off the fan blower or furnace would that be the switch? I know that would be temporary and then I guess by the end of summer I would need to have a service tech check it out. Thanks for your patience - hope you can guide me. I took off the inside thermostat cover - dusted the inside and it seems to be showing the correct temp of 66 this morning.
Yes you can turn that switch off for now that will stop your fan from running all the time if I have answered your question please hit accept.
Jim Eastwood
Jim Eastwood, HVAC Mechanic
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Goodman electric furnace will not respond to thermostat.
Goodman electric furnace will not respond to thermostat. blower runs constantly even when switched off. lowered thermostat setting still blower runs. duct work off top of furnace is warm indicating el… read more
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
Journeyman Service Technician,
State Licensed Mechanical Contractor
My Luxaire furnace is 4 and 1/2 years old and just this
My Luxaire furnace is 4 and 1/2 years old and just this winter season it has begun to make a vibrating noise prior to the blower turning on to blow the heat into the ducts. What could be the possible … read more
Rick
Rick
Supervisor,
AHM, My Rheem RBHP 21J075H2 ac unit does cool the house
Hi AHM, I am Chris. My Rheem RBHP 21J075H2 ac unit does cool the house anymore. I had the techs come out 3 times and the 1st visit was a maintenance call and the next 2 they tell me I need a 5 minute … read more
Phil
Phil
Mechanical Engineer,
Degree, Mech Engr Technology
Stop searching for answers—
My G21Q comes on and heats and blows fine but the blower wont
My G21Q comes on and heats and blows fine but the blower won't shut down when it should. I exchanged the fan limit switch with one I know works but my blower still won't shut off. I moved the fan off … read more
Scott
Scott
Self Employed HVAC Service Technician,
My home has a Bryant Model 376CAV036075 Medium Efficiency Gas
My home has a Bryant Model 376CAV036075 Medium Efficiency Gas Furnace which has worked fine until a couple of days ago. The inducer motor works the burner lights up, but the blower never comes on. I h… read more
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
HVAC Service manager and owner,
Model 58MYB installed 5 years ago in m home. During the night
Model 58MYB installed 5 years ago in m home. During the night my themostat is set at 70 degrees and at 8AM it goes to 74 degrees. The furnace comes on and runs for about 5 minutes, turns off and comes… read more
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
Journeyman Service Technician,
State Licensed Mechanical Contractor
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Last year we had a Honeywell TrueSTEAM humidifier added to
Last year we had a Honeywell TrueSTEAM humidifier added to our heating and cooling forced warm air system. The installer also added a VisionPro-IAQ thermostat. Everything has been working fine for bot… read more
Phil
Phil
Mechanical Engineer,
Degree, Mech Engr Technology
Its late at night and the furnace was turned down about 45
It's late at night and the furnace was turned down about 45 minutes ago from 68 to 58 degrees. The thermostat reads 74 degrees. The fan/blower? is still blowing and cool air is coming from some of the… read more
airheatman
airheatman
Heating & Air Conditioning Contractor,
6 years college
Years ago a friend did something to my hotair furnace so it
Years ago a friend did something to my hotair furnace so it acted as a central cooling system. How do I do this?… read more
Douglas
Douglas
We presently live in a custom home and have been provided with
We presently live in a custom home and have been provided with a Luxaire TG9S0608 12 MP11A furnace. It is mated to a Guardian GCGD24S21S2A air conditioning system. This A/C is a 2 Ton cooling unit for… read more
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
Journeyman Service Technician,
State Licensed Mechanical Contractor
Hello, my central air unit is running constantly. The furnace
Hello, my central air unit is running constantly. The furnace blower seems to be working ok but the air flow seems low coming out of the registers. The thermostat is only 1 year old and I hear it clic… read more
Phil
Phil
Mechanical Engineer,
Degree, Mech Engr Technology
I have a TRANE XV80 variable speed furnace MODEL # XXXXX
I have a TRANE XV80 variable speed furnace MODEL # XXXXX with 3 ton air conditioning. It is controlled by a Honeywell Thermostat Model # XXXXX The problem is the furnace shuts down, when reaching temp… read more
M Oglesby
M Oglesby
Stop searching for answers—
i have a older miller mobile home furnace(E1e), my problem
i have a older miller mobile home furnace(E1e), my problem is the blower motor won't shut off. i've changed the thermostat checked my wires to the thermostat everything seems to be fine. the air comin… read more
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
Journeyman Service Technician,
State Licensed Mechanical Contractor
The blower on my Luxaire Acclimate 9.V stopped coming on a
The blower on my Luxaire Acclimate 9.V stopped coming on a few hours ago and my house is rapidly getting cold. I checked and cycled the breakers for the furnace...no help. I removed the upper cover an… read more
freon
freon
Owner,
I have an Amana furnace (Air Command 90) with some quirks.
I have an Amana furnace (Air Command 90) with some quirks. When we bought the house two weeks ago, it seemed to be running fine, but after a few days, the "auto" mode wouldn't work, so we set it to "r… read more
Bill P.
Bill P.
Installer/ Troubleshooter/Technician,
Hello, I have a Coleman Presidential III furnace/central air
Hello, I have a Coleman Presidential III furnace/central air unit: model number 7966-856.For the last twenty years it has performed fantastic! Replaced the blower motor about two years ago. Just repla… read more
Mark Henley
Mark Henley
HVAC Controls DDC,
I have an old RUUD central AC unit that started blowing hot
I have an old RUUD central AC unit that started blowing hot air. I set the thermostat to off and set the temp gage higher than air temp to turn the unit off and save money, but inside blower unit runs… read more
Mark Henley
Mark Henley
HVAC Controls DDC,
I have an Trane XE80 it blows cool air not warm at all I have
I have an Trane XE80 it blows cool air not warm at all I have to put the therastat on 74-76 to get the house to 70… read more
Jim Eastwood
Jim Eastwood
HVAC Mechanic,