HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My Goodman air handler RELAY, ELECTRONIC BLOWER TIME DELAY

makes a clicking noise 4...
My Goodman air handler RELAY, ELECTRONIC BLOWER TIME DELAY makes a clicking noise 4 or 5 five cycles (about 10+ Sec delay ) before the squirrel cage fan will come/stay on. I have reset the unit by switch it off for 5 minutes then back on and it worked for a week but now it makes the outside compressor go on and off the same number of cycles before it comes on. Do I need a new board or can the capacitor cause this problem? Help it's hot in Phoenix!
5/12/2009
JBM HVAC
JBM HVAC, HVAC Technician

From the symptoms you described it does not sound like it would be possible for a capacitor to cause this problem. The Capacitor, to put it in a basic way, gives the compressor or fan motor extra starting torque to get it moving by building up a charge. Most likely you will need to replace the time delay control (if that is not possible, you will most likely need a new circuit board).

It sounded like the board to me but i was not sure how the cap feed the system. So in your opinion it is the board with the relay on it and not a signal or power supply to the relay?

Yes it sounds to me like a board or contactor on the board. If it is clicking to start or cycle it has power to do so. Most likely culprit is the board.

JBM HVAC
JBM HVAC, HVAC Technician

Awesome thanks for the Help now i just have to find a board or the relay itself and swap it. Thanks

Your very welcome, any other problems feel free to ask!
JBM HVAC
JBM HVAC
JBM HVAC, HVAC Technician