HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

If a thermostat goes bad can that cause the blower not to

Customer Question
If a thermostat goes "bad"...
If a thermostat goes "bad" can that cause the blower not to work? My gas furnace is warm, so I know it's working, but the blower doesn't seem to come on very often. The thermostat is reading 62, it's set at 74, and it's very cold in my home.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/17/2009
HVAC Technician: JBM HVAC, HVAC Technician replied 8 years ago
JBM HVAC
JBM HVAC, HVAC Technician

It is a possibility, its possible for any type of malfunction on a circuit board(which if you have a relatively newer thermostat it is a circuit board)

This is not likely though.

Its more likely that your having a problem with something in your gas furnace, possibly your fan limit (limit switch) or your circuit board.

JBM HVAC
JBM HVAC, HVAC Technician
Thermostat was installed new in 1995. So, no, it's not new. I am a single woman in my 60's, so I don't anything about circut boards on or in my furnace.
Ok not a problem. I have a question for you, is your thermostat a mercury thermostat or is it digital?
Not sure...is there anyway I can tell by looking at it? Does it state this on the face of the thermostat anywhere?
No you would have to look at the back of the thermostat, does it have glass tubes with mercury in them? Or is it a flat rectangular shape?
It is an HBSmith, flat, rectangular shape. I have my gas oven on, in another room, and the reading is now 65.

Ok it is most likely digital thermostat then. So is the furnace not turning on at all?

I haven't been home very long today, so not sure. Yes, the blower did come on briefly yesterday, that I know of. I have gas heat in my downstairs living area, and electric baseboard heating upstairs. Needless to say with this cold snap (7 degees, Northeast PA), I'm just trying to stay "comfortable, so spending more time upstairs.

Yes i completely understand, i like in eastern PA. Well i would be more than happy to try and help you out if you can give me more information about what is going on.

I've given you all I really know at this time. I would have to set downstairs and wait to see if the blower comes on, any time soon. Other than that, it just seems that the thermostat is not relaying for heat. As I said, the furnace itself is warm to the touch, the blower was coming on as off yesterday, but the thermostat was down to 60 this afternoon, and it is very cold downstairs.

I've given you all I really know at this time. I would have to set downstairs and wait to see if the blower comes on, any time soon. Other than that, it just seems that the thermostat is not relaying for heat. As I said, the furnace itself is warm to the touch, the blower was coming on as off yesterday, but the thermostat was down to 60 this afternoon, and it is very cold downstairs. I think I have submitted a payment of you.

Ok. Well i'll tell you what, If you want tell me everything that happens to it tonight. I am going to be leaving tonight and won't be online until tomorrow most likely but i will try and figure out what is going on then. Yes i recieved payment but i would like to still try and help you out as best i can.
Thank you for your help, Kamikazimelon. How will I be able to contact you tomorrow?

Your very welcome. Just reply to me using this post within the next 24 hours and i will recieve your response here

Ok, I'll bookmark it, and let you know what happens tonight. Thank you again!

Stay warm!!!! Don't know where you are and if you're going through this bitter cold or not.

I have been in the cold ALL week, its brutal. Thank you! I will wait for your response tomorrow. Have a safe night!

Good morning.

First things first: The thermostat is a mercury switch and is functioning. The burners in the furnace are in good working order and functioning. The blower is working.

My cousin came down last evening, checked and cleaned the thermostat, he then cleaned the dust out of the furnace and replaced the filter (neither of which was exceptionally dirty). He is not HVAC so that was the extent of his capabilites. But he did verify that everything was working as it should. His conclussion...furnace just not able to keep up with this cold snap.

This morning at 6:00 am thermostat registered 65, set at 75. House is tolerable, not warm, but not frigid either. Blower, etc. still working.

So it would seem my problem is more one of insulation thoughout my home then a problem with my furnace. Based on what I've told you...do you agree?

Hello, i'm sorry its taken so long to get back to you. I was out all morning.

If everything is functioning properly then yes i agree, depending on how old your home is and how energy efficient your house/equipment is that most certainly could be the case.

If you do happen to have anymore problems or questions feel free to ask, i'm going to be out again for the eagles game but i will try and check back tonight again.

Thanks!

I want to thank you for all your patience, and your quick response to my problem. I was not aware that this service was available until I ran into the problem and went looking for answers. I at least feel better knowing I don't have to endour a major furnace repair at this time.

Enjoy the game!

Sharon

Not a problem at all, thats what i'm here for!

Thanks!

Anymore questions please ask.

JBM HVAC
JBM HVAC
JBM HVAC, HVAC Technician