HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a two year old Frigidaire furnace and I believe Im…

I have a two year...
I have a two year old Frigidaire furnace and I believe I'm getting a limit circuit open fault (red light blinks once). The thermostat fan is set to auto but it does seem to be always running. Could this be the problem (need a new thermostat). Getting colder by the minute.
12/22/2008
Jason Martin
Jason Martin, Handyman
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer HVAC

If your fan continues to run then this is most likely a faulty limit switch as you stated.
The replacement is pretty straight forward byt just taking the old one out and installing the new. However, limit switches don't go out for no reason. The main reason they go out is due to an over stressed bi-metal failure inside the switch. This is caused by overheating many many times. And the cause for this is generally a dirty filter that hasn't been cleaned or changed in some time.

So to answer your question, yes, you need to replace the limit switch.
But to ask a question, when was the last time you changed or replaced the filter?
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to identify the limit switch? Also, you are right about the filter. I've been meaning to change it for a few weeks now and keep forgetting. I change them once a month usually (pets bring in lots of dust, etc) but I'm behind in doing it this time.
Just a second, let me see if I can find a good reference pic for you.....
That would be great! Waiting for any additional information or reference you can provide. Thanks again!
Even better than a pic, I found a video on how to replace it!

Jason Martin
Jason Martin, Handyman
Mr Martin, perfect, perfect. The temp is around 5 degrees outside and my house was getting colder by the minute. It's 3:18 am now, and you were there when I needed you! The information was excactly what I needed to fix my problem. I'm sure you saved me hundreds. I thank you and my family thanks you (two little ones)! God bless and have a very Merry Christmas!
I am very glad to help! It's not quite 5 degrees here but very cold nontheless so I know how important it is to get that furnace going again as soon as possible,

Thank you very much for the Christmas Bonus!

I hope you have a very Merry and Warm Christmas!

If you need any additional help, just come back here and let me know.
Jason Martin
Jason Martin
Jason Martin, Handyman