I got a little 7 yr old buckskin from the auction. From what info I got on him, he was started at had 4 rides on him and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I got a little 7 yr old buckskin from the auction. From what info I got on him, he was started at had 4 rides on him and then stood unridden for the last 4 years. So he is very, very green. I've had him in a mild snaffle ( the ones used when starting a horse) and that's been fine just going round in the arena, But now Im asking a bit more from him and the response sucks.Should I try a thinner snaffle or maybe a mild twisted wire snaffle on him?
Answered by Jay Bickers in 1 day 3 years ago
imglogo
Jay Bickers
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, I am Dr Jay. Equine veterinarian for 28+ years. Rode, broke, and trained before that. I would suggest two things. 1) have his teeth and TMJs checked. Teeth could be in bad shape decreasing responsiveness and bit fighting. 2) You might try backing off to a side pull. It has the same action as an O ring snaffle but works on the nose not the mouth. Horse don’t expect that and are often much more responsive. If the first person was heavy handed this wiil work very well. Eventually you can transition back to a bit.
I hope you find this information helpful. If you have further questions please write back. When we are done please remember to rate my response.
Customer
His teeth have been done. I've had him in a side pull. I am not heavy handed at all. He really noses out in a sidepull. He just isnt responding as good as he should. Flexing laterally is not where it should be both ways.
I was not imply you were heavy handed. Was thinking if someone else statrted him.
Sounds like its time for an equine vet to take a close look at his neck. He could have arthritis of the facet joints. Will need xrays and possibly injecting the facet joints
I hope you find this helpful
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jay Bickers
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jay Bickers
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.