My horse escaped and a windgall has emerged on one back leg on the fetlock near the back portion. He is sound and has a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My horse escaped and a windgall has emerged on one back leg on the fetlock near the back portion. He is sound and has a tiny bit of heat and doesn't mind any flexing of the joint. Do I get a vet out ? I'm cold hosing, cloying and he is on bute. He has come out of ridden work but should I box rest him? He went in the field today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: And it was larger !!
JA: What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: No wound , he ran at a flat put gallop on hard ground for 5 mins on Friday morning. So is it from concussion ? It's only the off fore. He is 5 years , called blackjack
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No. Thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Answered by Dr. B. in 46 mins 6 years ago
imglogo
Dr. B.
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi,Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with Blackjack. I need a little more information to answer the question for you.1. Is he lame or unsound on the leg right now?2. Can you send me a picture of the leg and the swelling? I would not do any riding on him until we figure it out a little better. Box stall rest is best for now. Talk soon
Customer
No he is totally sound ,
Ok, If he is sound at a trot then you can probably just continue with the treatment that you are using currently - bute, banadaging and cold hosing (10-15 minutes daily). Keep him stall rested for 5-7 days and then introduce small paddock turn out. Resume riding in 10-14 days depending on whether this swelling goes down. Most likely is that he strained his annular ligament but there is a chance it could be something more severe such as a superficial or deep digital flexor tendon injury - in which case, you would need a vet to assess it and make a more lengthy rehab plan.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. B.
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. B.
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.