Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine surgical residency, special interest in orthopaedics and upper airway surgery.
13958431

My horse fell over and cut s knees open, with an upward

Customer Question

My horse fell over and cut his knees open, with an upward slice which is about 2cm deep, I have been wrapping them with manuka honey just wondering what the chances of them healing flat are or will the flap heal outwards?
Category: Horse Management
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, and thanks for the question.
I’m sorry to hear about your Scout’s injuries. In order for me to give you a thorough answer, I need a bit more information from you, please.
1): How long ago did the injuries occur?
2): Can you give me a few more details about the nature of the lacerations, specifically, are there skin flaps involved, and if so, are the tips of the flaps pointing upward or downward? Or are they just horizontal?
3): When was Scout’s last tetanus shot?
4): Is he lame on either of the front limbs?
Thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.
Dan C., DVM

I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be signing off for the evening. I’ll be checking for your response first thing in the morning.
Many Thanks!
-Dan C., DVM.

I wanted to let you know that I’ll be offline for a few hours, out working. IF you have further questions or replies, I’ll be checking as soon as I return.
Thanks again,
Dan C., DVM.