Horse Management

Get Your Horse Training Questions Answered by Experts ASAP

Horse Management

My horse has pneumonia and has been on cupertine or something

Customer Question
like that for five weeks...
my horse has pneumonia and has been on cupertine or something like that for five weeks. Yesterday he seemed lethargic and was breathing more heavily than he has in the past. I am concerned about side effects from the penicillin.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Horse Management
5/1/2015
Horse Manager: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Greetings, and thanks for the question. I apologize for the delay, I just got in for the day and it seems that JC DIll is offline.Sorry to hear about your horse's condition. Five weeks is a long time for a horse to be fighting with pneumonia. I need to ask you a few questions so that I can reply to you more thoroughly. 1): How old is your horse, and how was he diagnosed? Was there any type of blood work done by his Vet? 2): I am not familiar with Cupertine. Is it a type of penicillin? If so, does it say anywhere on the bottle "Procaine Penicillin G? And how often and how much has he been getting daily? is it injectable? 3): Is he still eating and drinking? Have you taken his temperature? 4): Is he on any other types of medication? 5): Does he have any discharge from his nose, and if so, is it from both nostrils? Any coughing? Thanks, ***** *****'m looking forward to hearing from you. -Dan C.

Finn is 14. He was diagnosed by blood test with elevated white cells and anemia. He is no longer anemic as he had been on red cell for more than 4 weeks.. Vet said he hears wheezes when he uses stethoscope. He had a 2nd blood test after four weeks on penicillin. I don't know what kind of penicillin as the meds are at the farm and I am not. There is no discharge. There is coughing--about 3-4 coughs in 2 hours. No cough today. He takes about 20 breaths a minute but he does breathe heavily just in front of his hip bone. He does not breathe heavily through nostrils. Today he wasn't lethargic. He eats and drinks well. He has not lost weight. The vet said the pneumonia is from dust and mold from round bales. I am moving him to another farm tomorrow where hay is better, with less dust, and clean pastures. About a third of a herd of 30 horses has breathing problems. Finn is the only horse diagnosed with pneumonia. He's also on a 2 x daily antihistamine for allergies. He also has thrush that I am treating every day. I think it is mostly gone.

Thanks for getting back to me. It does sound as if Finn is improving. Is he still on the Penicillin?To address your initial question as far as the side effects of Penicillin, fortunately there are few and have a low frequency of happening. The most common problem that I encounter is muscle soreness at the injection sites, especially when the horse has been on it for a long period of time. Some people will give it in the neck, which I don't recommend, which causes extreme soreness and can inhibit them from eating. They can also, rarely, develop a hypersensitivity to it (allergy), but this is rarely seen.Sounds like a great idea that you are moving him, especially with the problem of the round bales.You may be noticing the breathing in the flank region, as horses have a tendency to appear "tucked up" when they have been ill for awhile. This should resolve after he's been away from the barn for awhile and is feeling better. I trust that I've been of some help to you, and please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks, ***** ***** of luck with Finn. Regards, -Dan
Hello!Just to let you know I'll be signing off for the evening. I'll be checking for a response first thing in the morning. Thanks,Dan C.
Good morning.Just checking to see if you have any further questions. Thanks again! -Dan.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian