She is 22 and can't get up. She is a mini. Since yesterday. She was eating and drinking but has stopped. But she did get

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She is 22 and can't get up. She is a mini
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the horse been lethargic? Any changes in her appetite?
Customer: Since yesterday. She was eating and drinking but has stopped
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No. But she did get out overnight and ate a lot of grass two days ago.
JA: And what's the horse's name and age?
Customer: Mary, 22
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She looks like she is dying. Her age is estimated. She was a rescue
Answered by Dr. Loretta in 7 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Loretta
25+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Horse Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer
She is lying in the rain I can't get her up

I am so sorry that Mary is not feeling well. It appears from what you described is that she has foundered causing her feet to hurt so bad that she will not get up. I know this is very sad and it is very important that you get your veterinarian out to give her anti inflammatory medications. The pain from the founder that was caused by eating so much grass can be severe.

Does that make sense to you?

Customer
There are no vets in my area. Is AniPrin P OK and should I try to get her up?

You will need Butazolidin or Banamine to help her. If there are no vets in your area, check with your neighbors. It is best to try very hard to get her up by poking at her and making a lot of noise or using a cattle prod. Once she stands, it will help. That is really all you can do to help… the medication is very important in the long run since this will get worse without treatment.

Customer
We've gotten her up twice. She keeps falling. Her legs are stiff as a biard

Once you get her up, try to get her to walk before she lays back down… the movement will help. This grass founder is hard to work with without the appropriate treatment.

Customer
Ok, thank you. This apparently is all I can do. Try to make her comfortable

I wish I could help more. Like I said, check with others near you that have horses. Many will have a supply of Bute or Banamine on hand. Since Mary is a mini, she would take 1 gr every 8 hrs the first day and may allow her to walk.

Customer
Thank you. I will get to the feed store. Her gums are now very pale

You are very welcome! I am worried about sweet Mary because pale gums is not a good sign… I hope they can help at the feed store♥️

Customer
I can't stop crying. Thank you

Hang in there sweety! You are doing all you can for your sweet Mary♥️♥️

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Loretta
logo
logo
logo
25+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Loretta
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.