Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

He keeps chomping on his bit and keeps lifting his hind legs…

Customer Question
He keeps chomping on...

He keeps chomping on his bit and keeps lifting his hind legs up to kick the floor beneath him (seperate timings)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the horse?

^^

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the horse seem to hurt?

Around his mouth and hooves

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nothing I’ve noticed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the horse eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the horse having trouble peeing or pooing?

Not that i’ve noticed but he does have a lot of gas

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name and age?

Peppae and 20

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peppae?

I’ve one just started loaning him, he has been neglected and psychologically abused for the past 2/3 years

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Good Morning, and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear about Peppae's current behavior. I have a few questions I would like to ask about Peppae, so I might get a better idea as to what is troubling him.

1): How long has Peppae been showing this behavior, and did the kicking and the bit chomping both begin at the same time?

2): Did he start this behavior when you started loaning him?

3): When was he last trimmed or shod?

4): When were his teeth last examined or floated?

5): What type of bit are you using with Peppae, and is this a new type of bit for him?

6): Have you noticed any diarrhea?

7): What does his normal diet consist of?

8): What is his living environment like (stall with paddock, open pasture, etc.) and is he in with other horses?

Thanks, ***** *****'m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM