Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I just bought a 3 year old Gypsy vanner X new forest pony…

Customer Question
Hi there, I just bought...
Hi there, I just bought a 3 year old Gypsy vanner X new forest pony who, as a foal, had wire wrapped around his hind leg, causing reasonably serious injury (judging by the scars!). One part of the scar feels like it has some calcification, confirmed by a quick vet exam. He is intermittently "lame" in his gait, but no head bobbing and doesn't seem to be in any pain. He looks even from behind from a muscle development perspective, but has also been malnourished so overall is quite light from a muscular perspective. His gait doesn't seem shorter on the damaged leg at a walk. I was just wondering if this is something that may make him unrideable without surgery (he would be a trail horse). He isn't broken in yet but if he needs surgery, I would probably do that sooner rather than later!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
3/27/2018
Horse Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I am sorry that your question was not addressed earlier. I just came online & saw it.

When you had the " quick vet exam " done, were radiographs ever discussed?

When does he show lameness?

Thank you.

Hi there,No, no radiographs discussed - he was sedated from having his teeth done which was why it was only a cursory exam. The lameness is intermittent and random. It was certainly more pronounced after 2 hours in the trailer but seems mostly random other than that.

Thanks for the additional information. I would seriously consider x-rays next. If there was any damage done to the joint when the wire injury occurred, surgery may be an option. I would be looking for any small bone chips that might be floating around, or any cartilage damage that needs to be removed. It may just be scar tissue, too. This would be a good time to evaluate things, before you get too invested in training him.

It does not sound too serious now, but even a small cartilage flap can give a horse years of grief, & if properly addressed, can return a horse to full function.

Please let me know how else I may help or if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

Hello, just checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns. If my response was of help to you, please consider rating my reply as this is the only manner in which I can receive credit from the site. I would greatly appreciate this.

Thank you!