Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a horse with increasing anxiety the first 5 min of a…

Customer Question
I have a horse...

I have a horse with increasing anxiety the first 5 min of a ride. He is peeing and pooping considerably more each ride and his poop smells really bad all of a sudden. He settles and goes right to work after 5 min of prancing. I'm a trainer so I got on the horse to see what's up and he walks like he's constipated for the first 5 min. Could this be a bladder infection?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the horse can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the horse's name and age?

Duke. 13 OTTb

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Duke?

13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?

He gets 25lbs Timothy hay, 2 lbs hay pellets, 3 cups empower boost rice bran, accel vit and mineral, extra vit E, and 3 cups strategy daily

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
3/26/2018
Horse Veterinarian: Jill DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Jill DVM
Jill DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an equine veterinarian. Does Duke show any signs of back pain, i.e., biting or flinching when putting the saddle or girth on, poor top line muscle, rigid back? Horses in training that have worsening anxiety or behavior without an obvious lameness very commonly have significant pain. This is often present in the back or sacroiliac joints. If you press behind his shoulder blades on either side of his withers does he react (stay out of kicking and biting range!)? This is often a sign of poor saddle fit. Horses with gastric ulcers may present similarly, but often don't react to palpation on the top of their back. Ulcergaard and Alimend are available over the counter and can help horses with gastric and/or colonic ulcers. Based on your description, I would recommend that Duke have his back radiographed for kissing spines or arthritic changes, and have his stomach scoped for ulcers, before starting any treatments.