Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

He has vertical lines in his hooves looks almost like hair.

Customer Question
He has vertical lines...

He has vertical lines in his hooves looks almost like hair. He has soft feet but have been keeping him unshod and on biotene,Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the horse?

He has vertical lines in his hooves to the point we don't think he can hold a shoe. Not lame and gets around to graze. fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

All four feet are the same,

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name and age?

Horses name is ***** ***** old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Toby?

15 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?

He hs always had soft feet but never been lame.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
3/23/2018
Horse Veterinarian: Jill DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Jill DVM
Jill DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an equine veterinarian. Do you have any pictures of Toby's feet you could share with me?

No pictures.It's like the whole hoof from coronary band to ground has a hair like appearance rather than normal hoof wall.This is on all 4 hooves.

OK. Is the hoof wall smooth to the touch or does it feel like hair as well? Is it all one color or does it alternate dark and light?

No real variation in color. The picture doesn't look like his hooves, the lines[hair like]are all vertical not like little tiles. Could this be caused by standing in mud/water this winter?
Horse Veterinarian: Jill DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Hmmmm, I'm not sure if I've seen what you're describing. If you could take a picture and attach it that would be very helpful. Waterlogged hooves usually get very soft and chip or break easily. It can make them more prone to develop seedy toe or white line disease.