Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

How should I keep my horses leg wrapped using derma clens.

Customer Question
How long should I...

How long should I keep my horses leg wrapped using derma clens

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your horse?

Wish I could send you a picture

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your horse seem to hurt?

Rear leg front side

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is your horse's name and age?

Swagger 2 yr old QH

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
3/20/2018
Horse Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you share pictures of the wound itself?

You've got quite some time left before this wound is going to be fully healed. How often are you bandaging and cleaning the wound? What steps are you taking to clean before applying more dermaclens?

I realize it going to be at least 6 more weeks. It gets cleaned with sterile water and iodine . Then dressed with derma clens and rewrapped every other day.
He is also on SMZ tablets

Excellent. It sounds like you're taking the right course of action. Be sure you're using some type of dressing that does not stick to the wound to help minimize removal of granulation tissue when you unbandage the wound. When you are cleaning, try to remove any extra tissue that doesn't appear pink by gently wiping. The dermaclens is safe to use for the duration of the healing process. So, to answer your original question: As long as it takes for the wound to heal. It doesn't need to be used the entire time but the dermaclens can help resurface the wound by facilitating dead tissue sloughing. I'd keep using it until at least 75% of the wound has granulated in (leaving no more than a quarter-sized wound open). You'll still want to bandage it then, of course, but the dermaclens won't be nearly as important as granulation tissue begins to become more and more prominent in the wound.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Swagger doing today?