Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

She has a cough that has been coming and going. When I first…

Customer Question
She has a cough...

She has a cough that has been coming and going. When I first saved her from the kill pen she did have a very serious congestion issue green discharge out of both nostrils. The vet gave antibiotics and she seemed fine until lately I hear this caugh.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the horse's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dreamy?

I had her fecal tested and her count was a little high so I gave her a power pack and some probiotics.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 5 days by:
3/22/2018
Horse Veterinarian: Jill DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Jill DVM
Jill DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an equine veterinarian. I am very sorry this reply is coming so late. Does Dreamy have a fever? Is her cough dry and raspy or more wet sounding? Does it happen when she gets fed or more when she is outside or being ridden? She could have picked up a minor respiratory virus. She may have a fever with this (temperature over 101.5 F), if so you should keep her separated from the rest of your horses until it resolves. She may also have allergies, called Equine Asthma, usually to the dust and mold that is in hay and bedding. If she has allergies, soaking her hay and grain in water for 30 minutes before feeding and lightly spraying down her bedding or paddock to keep the dust down should help her cough.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a dry cough. I do feed round bales that are out side. They stay out unless they go in the run in shed. None of the other horses have a cough. She does cough when she is being ridden sometimes. She will cough and fart at the same time. She was very ill when I pulled her out of the kill pen. I thought we were going to lose her but we got her turned around. Just worried there maybe more going on. I do actually have my vet coming on Sunday and he said he will listen to her. She still has a good weight but I know that can turn very quickly..

OK, if she will let you, check her temperature. You can use those cheap thermometers from the drug store and take a rectal temperature once per day. Your vet will appreciate knowing if she's had a fever at all during the week when he comes to look at her. If you want to test out the allergy theory, you can separate her with a buddy from the rest of the group and take them off the round bale. Round bales are notorious for being dusty and moldy. You can feed her soaked hay from the round bale a few times per day and try to keep dust down around her and see if that makes her feel better. It may take a week or more to see changes though. I'm sure your vet will take a good listen to her chest and see if there is anything abnormal, and maybe pull some bloodwork to see if she has any signs of infection or inflammation. I'm glad you are giving this little mare a second chance. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. If not, please give me a rating so I know if I did a good job, or if I have things I need to work on!

Jill DVM
Jill DVM
Jill DVM, Horse Veterinarian