Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have injectable penicillin can I guve it orally to a

I have injectable penicillin...

I have injectable penicillin can I guve it orally to a horse

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the horse's name and age?

Total

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Total?

11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Total?

He had a cut to his lower leg about a week ago. He isnt lame on it but it does have some heat

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question this evening.

Injectable penicillin should not be used orally because it is poorly absorbed due to a process called rapid acid-catalyzed hydrolysis. This means the active component of the penicillin is almost immediately broken down by the enzymes in saliva & the acids in the stomach. Injection is the best way to go if you are truly worried about infection.

Please let me know if I can help with any further questions you might have.

Thank you.

Thank you I gave him 5 cc’s im

OK. That is probably a little low. If you think he still needs the penicillin let me know approximately how much he weighs & I can calculate the dose for you. I will also need to know the strength of penicillin you have, too. Most injectable penicillin should be 300,000 IU/ml.

If the cut is not too bad, you may just need to treat it topically.

Thank you.

he weighs about 1000 lbs. the cut is about a week old and still isnt full closed. unfortunately we missed the 24 hour window to get it sutured.

A 1000 pound horse should get about 30 mls in the muscle every 12 hours. That is a lot to inject & you can not give more than 20 mls in any one spot. If the cut is no very bad or deep, I would just treat it topically with betadine washes & bandaging the leg with a wound ointment like nitrofurazone. Change the bandage every 2-3 days & this is should help a lot.

It is a type 2 wound with one spot that looks decently deep still
I’ll take a picture of it tomorrow and send it over
I’ve been using silver sulfadiazine to dress it. What do you think about that? I also have steroids to reduce proud flesh on hand

I love silver sulfadiazine. It is so much better than the nitrofurazone. Make sure you hold off on the steroids until you see if you even need it. Definitely get a pic for me. That really helps .

Talk to you tomorrow after the pictures come through.

Thank you.

Thanks for the pictures, it really helps. The discharge does not bother me at all, & the wound looks pretty good although you may be getting a bit of a proud flesh reaction already. What is the steroid you have on hand.

Thank you.

I’ll get the name soon. Is the yellow tissue the Proud Flesh

No, I think that is just some fibrous tissue present. From the picture, it just looks like the pink fleshy tissue is a little elevated, but nothing to panic over. I think using the silver cream with a little steroid in it will calm things down in a few days to a week.

thank you

You are welcome. Let me know when you know the steroid you have. I may not get back to you right away, but as soon as I am back online I will reply.

Entederm

That will work great. What I like to do is mix the SSD cream with about an equal amount of the Entederm, apply it to a Telfa nonstick pad & wrap the leg. Change the bandage every 3 days. I really would not be using injectable or oral antibiotics with this. I do not think it is necessary.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian