Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

When would it be appropriate to give a horse lactated

When would it be...

When would it be appropriate to give a horse lactated ringers with DMSO? (looking at my vet bill)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the horse?

Nothing, she's a young racehorse in training

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the horse seem to hurt?

No lameness or heat anywhere. A reluctance to pick up her right lead when asked for run in the stretch.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, but again my question is, when/why would you give a horse lactated ringers and DMSO?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the horse's name and age?

She's 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name?

Horse will do

3/8/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an equine veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you want to know when DMSO with lactated ringers is to be used. Your horse has a history of failing to pick up the right lead. Is that a correct summary?

I'm kind of looking for a simple answer, similar to "when should someone take an aspirin?" A: "if you have a fever, headache or other aches and pains"

The uses for DMSO are rampant, but the only FDA-approved veterinary indication for DMSO is to be used topically to reduce acute swelling due to trauma. Other possible indications for DMSO include: adjunctive treatment in transient blood loss conditions, central nervous system trauma and cerebral edema, calcinosis cutis, uterine infection, skin ulcers/wounds/burns, adjunctive therapy in intestinal surgeries, and pain management for post-operative pain or pain that does not respond to other medications.

Does that help answer your question?

I think so. Thanks!
One more follow-up
Are you saying use of DMSO in an IV is not an FDA-approved vet treatment?

That is true. It is not FDA approved because clinical studies have not been performed. It is widely used for IV treatment, but it is an off-label manner. That is quite common in veterinary medicine and there is a medical precdent for IV use. It is likely this will become FDA approved at some point, but it is not currently labeled for that purpose.

OK thank you.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry