Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 6 year old mare has an injury under her belly it's about…

My 6 year old...

My 6 year old mare has an injury under her belly it's about half way in between her front and back legs about the size of my hand. It looks like it's healing well no puss or smell just blood dripping constantly from it from the size of a 10 cent piece. I don't know what could be the cause, I've been cleaning it once a day and applying a spray to keep the flies off it, just looking for some advice if possible please.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the horse's name?

Thanks, ***** ***** is mabel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mabel?

No, the injury is not bothering her normal behaviour, it's not hurting her and she's still eating normally and still fat and looks healthy as usual.

3/8/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

This sounds like it may be a condition called Habronemiasis, but you can not rule out a sarcoid or even cancer ( unlikely in this area & a horse this young ). Is it possible for you to post a picture or two? How long has it been there?

Thank you.

Thanks for the pictures. This looks more like a burn! The edges do look like they are trying to heal, but I definitely see the area you are concerned about.

How long ago did you first notice this?

Does she have any place where she is kept where she can rub the area? I've had horses stand over large tubs, or even get down on the ground to rub their bellies.

Have you dewormed her since this started this with ivermectin?

Thank you.

She's been in a paddock with other horses and I thought she must of got it from a tree or log but I'm unsure, there's no chance of getting burnt where they were. I first noticed the wound about 6 weeks ago and I brought her in then, I've seen her rubbing it with her hind feet and I haven't wormed her since she's been in no.

6 weeks is a long time to have a none healing wound ( even though the edges do look like it is trying to heal ). If getting your vet out is not an option, then we can try a few things. My concern is this is a smoldering Habronema infection. This is a common site for this parasite to settle & it just aggravates the skin. I would like you to first worm Mabel with either Ivermectin or Quest. Try to get as close to her actual weight as you can. You do not want you to under dose her.

Pick up a tub of Nitrofurazone ointment & a tube of 1% hydrocortisone. Mix about a 1 inch strip of the 1% hydrocortisone into an adequate amount of the Nitrofurazone to cover the area. Mix this in a little cup or the palm of your hand & apply to the lesion. If you can do this for this twice a day, that would be great, otherwise do it at least once a day. Wash your hands after to remove the ointment ( or wear gloves ). You do not need exposure to the steroid . Use Swat around the edges or spray for flies.

If the lesion is not showing signs of healing in 10 days, you will have to get your vet out to examine things. She is too young for any type of cancer, but a biopsy may be necessary. Or she may need to be treated with medications stronger & unavailable to you.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Thank you for your help, I'll do that and organise a vet to look at her.

You are so welcome. I will check back next week to see ho things are going.

Take care.