Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 26 yo mare has a runny left eye which she has had for…

Customer Question
My 26 yo mare...

My 26 yo mare has a runny left eye which she has had for about 2 weeks. I don't see any damage around the area of the eye. H

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the horse?

Other than her runny eye she seems ok.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the horse seem to hurt?

Just the eye is running.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the horse's name?

Lady Adelia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lady?

She is a th

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
1/12/2018
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Good Afternoon! Sorry to hear about Lady Adella's eye problem, however this is a common problem in older horses and can be easily addressed by your Veterinarian. There is a small duct in the inside corner of the eye called the nasolacrimal duct, which actually drains into the nostril. IT serves to allow the eye to easily drain the normal fluid produced by the eye. What has most likely happened with Lady Adella, is that the duct has become clogged, either by debris or mild inflammation. IT is a simple procedure for you Veterinarian to insert a small tube into the drainage hole in the nostril, and flush saline up through the duct, thereby clearing the blockage. She may also have a minor infection with started the episode, and your Vet should have the appropriate medications to clear the infection. So basically, there is no cause to be overly concerned, as her eye is in no danger of damage. I recommend considering scheduling an appointment with your Vet, who will be able to get your Lady back to normal!

I trust I've been of some help, but please don't hesitate to ask should you have further questions.

All the best,

-Dan C., DVM

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be offline for about an hour, out on a call. I will check for any further questions you may have as soon an I return.

Many thanks,

-Dan C., DVM

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dan C., DVM
The weather is very cold here right now zero to 15 degrees during the day hours. The horse is in the barn every night and recently during the days, due to the weather. Other than the running eye she doesn't have problems. She is eating well.

Hello, and I apologize for the lengthy delay in getting back to you. I trust that you have read the answer I provided concerning Lady Adella's eye condition. The cold weather is most likely not a factor with her running eye. As stated above, her problem is probably a clogged nasolacrimal duct, which your Veterinarian should be able to easily address. I recommend that you contact your Vet to schedule an appointmant to have her duct flushed, and if necessary, treat any associated infection. This condition is easily resolved, and there is no danger to her sight.

Again, apologies for the lateness for my reply, and I hope you're able to get her seen soon!

-Dan C., DVM

Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 6 months ago

Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Dan C., DVM