Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I live in Mexico with poor vet service. My horses have been…

Hi, I live in...

Hi, I live in Mexico with poor vet service. My horses have been diagnosed and treated for Habronema parasites. One has a inflamed eye and swollen third eye lid and the other a open sore in the girth area of her stomach. This has been going on for three months and neither has improved. I am treating the eye with Necain drops and belly wound with a concoction cream. I think both are steroid based. Any chance it could be a infection and is there a way to take a culture. I could access a human lab.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your horse bleeding a lot?

No blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name?

The horse with the belly wound is Mora and the horse with the eye issue is Chino.

1/12/2018
Jay Bickers
Jay Bickers, Horse Veterinarian
Hello. Ism an equine veterinarian with over 27 years in practice. I will try to help you and your horses. I need to ask what is the hair/skin color of the affected areas. There are a couple of other things that could be going on.
Thank you
Hi Jay. The horse with the belly wound is flea bitten white. The skin color around the wound is normal pink. It refuses to heal and is without scab and the diameter of a tennis ball. The eye on the other horse is swollen, inflamed and the third eye lid protrudes. Skin color around is normal.
Being in Mexico it is hard to call.
Ok. Sounds like both lesions need to be biopsied and find out for sure. Both the eye lesion and the belly lesion could very likely be squamous cell carcinoma (cancer). Of so they will need to be surgically removed and treated with follow up chemotherapy injections.
The belly lesion might be a sarcoid and will need to be treated as above. There is a chance they could be summer sores (habranima) but you need to find out because the treatments and prognosis for each is different. If you have trouble finding a veterinarian to do this let me know, and where in Mexico you are located. I know a few Mexican veterinarians and can try to help you find one.
I know this isnt a quick fix answer but hopefully will get you started in the right direction. If I can be of any more help let me know.
Please remember to rate my sevice. A 5 star rating would be greatly appreciated
We are located in Baja California Sur between Cabo San Lucas and zlaPaz in the mountains. Know anyone in this area?
Not personally but let me make some calls and I will get back with you
Waiting.........
Calls out. Waiting. Fella from Guadalajara said he may know someone. Hes going to get back with me and I will let you know
Thanks. There are a few big animal vets arount but few or none know what they are doing.
Worst case you could fly me down and we will do it. Already have my passport
How about you fly down and we’ll put you up for a week. Check out our website at www.rancholaventa.com��
Sounds great. Let me work up a cost estimate. Dont know if this site will let you do it but can you send me a direct email address. I couldnt find a contact link on your web site. What is your closest commercial airport.
Reach me at drbickers at gee mail com
Jay Bickers
Jay Bickers, Horse Veterinarian