Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

I have a 16 year old mare that we rescued that has proud…

I have a 16...

I have a 16 year old mare that we rescued that has proud flesh on her back right leg. We have been cleaning it every other day and it has been stable for months. Recently she ripped off the bandage when she was rolling and got dirt in the wound. now her leg is infected and swollen all the way up to her rump. The sever cold weather is not helping her neither. I have put a winter blanket on her and cleaned her wound very well. What else can I give her to help get the swelling down for her to walk easier in this bitter cold weather?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the mare bleeding a lot?

The wound only bleeds when I scrub it to clean it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the mare's name?

Ginger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?

No, just the swelling of her leg is our only concern

1/6/2018
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Good Morning:

Sorry to hear about Ginger. The swelling up her leg is concerning. A few questions for you:

1): Is she eating and drinking normally?

2): Is she walking on the affected limb?

3): Approximately how much does she weigh?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

-Dan C, DVM

Just checking to see if you received my reply.

From what you have described, there is indeed an infection involved due to the proud flesh, and Ginger needs to be on antibiotics. I would recommend using Procaine Penicillin G, which should be available at your local feed/supply store. Dosage for the penicillin is 3cc per 100 pounds twice daily. So if she weighs around 800 pounds, she will need 24cc twice daily. This should be given in the muscle, and the best place to do so is on her upper rear limb. I recommend using an 18 gauge needle, as the medication is somewhat thick. It is best to insert the needle initially, then attach the syringe. Pull back on the syringe plunger and be sure that you do not see any blood. If you do see blood, re-position the needle. I would give her the penicillin for five days.

Ideally, it would be best if Ginger could be seen by a Veterinarian, who could remove the proud flesh to prevent this from happening again, as the proud flesh will not go away on it's own.

I hope I've been of some help, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best to you,

-Dan C., DVM

I will be out working the majority of the day. Should you have any further questions, please let me know. I will respond when I return this evening.

-Dan c., DVM

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she is eating Purina Senior Active everyday. Plus I give her joint supplement.
She is drinking about 2 gallons of water a day and timothy/grass hay.
She has been walking great until her leg swelled yesterday. she can still walk barley, but favors her leg massively.
she weighs about 1000 lbs.
I appreciate the information. I could not get a vet to come out on the weekend. I have him coming on Monday but I want to put her at some easy until then.
Thank you so much.
Michelle

Thanks for getting back to me Michelle:

Glad to hear that you are having her seen. If you still want to start her on the penicillin, 25cc twice daily will suffice.

Best of luck with your girl.

-Dan.

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to thank you so much for the advise for Ginger. She is doing so much better. Swelling has gone down enough for her to walk normal again. The vet that came out today was greatful on how you directed me when he wasn't available over the weekend. I will absolutely refer you to my friends and family.
Thank you
Michelle

Thank you, Michelle. It's great to hear that Ginger responded well, and I really appreciate your letting me know. Thanks also for your kind words and rating.

Hope you and Ginger have a great new year.

-Dan.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian