Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

He is not putting any weight al all on his left rear leg, he…

He is not putting...

He is not putting any weight al all on his left rear leg, he uses his tippy toe. It is very cold out side and I think he might have pulled a muscle or tendon what can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the horse?

It is his foot not his leg, I see no swelling or inflammation

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name and age?

Heza Rare link and he is 21 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name?

He is in very good shape for his age

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the horse?

I don’t think so. I went out to feed this morning and he limped up to his feeder but he ate all his food. It is just weird that He is using his tippy toe to walk on and he won’t let me put it down to hold weight

1/5/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

It sounds like it could be a hoof abscess. That would come on suddenly and cause tippy toe lameness.

An exam with a hoof testers is needed to confirm it.

Then a vet or farrier could open up the area on the hoof so the pus can drain out which would relieve pressure and make him feel better.

So unless you are skilled with a hoof testes, and hoof knife, you will need to call your farrier or vet to do it.

Does that make sense to you?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian
the farrier is coming to look trim them in a couple of days. Thank you

You are welcome. As soon as the abscess is drained he will feel much better. Sometimes the abscess will surface and break open on its own. If he will cooperate, you can soak his foot in a bucket or tub with warm water, betadine, and epsom salts. Do it twice a day for 10 minutes. If it is too cold there to do that, or he will not keep his foot in the tub, then he can just wait for the farrier.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby