Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 3 year old quarter horse gelding makes this rattling

Customer Question
Hello my 3 year...

Hello my 3 year old quarter horse gelding makes this rattling noise with his nose even when he is just standing in the pasture. He doesnt have a runny nose or anything like that but he does have a parrot mouth and i was wondering if that would cause him to make that fluttering or rattling noise that sounds like its coming from his nose. He is full of energy and has a great appetite etc just wondering why he makes that noise constantly. Thank you for any help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the horse's name?

Sway

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sway?

Not anything that i know of but that he does have a parrot mouth. I had his teeth floated back in August he has always made that noise but it was just every once and awhile, now it seems constant.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
12/28/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Good Morning!

Sorry to hear about Sway's condition. I'm Dan C., DVM and I'd like to help you and Sway, but I have a few questions to ask so I can better understand what is causing Sway's condition.

1): How long has Sway been making this noise?

2): Have you ever had him seen by a Veterinarian for the condition?

3): Does the rattling get worse when you are riding him or when he is exercising?

4): Does he ever seem to tire easily, or act abnormally slow?

Thanks in advance for your answers, and I'm looking forward to working with you.

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be away for about an hour. Out to do a farm call.

-Dan C., DVM

He has always made this noise every once and awhile until about a month ago and he seems to do it all the time whether i am riding him or hes just standing out in the pasture doing nothing. My vet said he thought maybe he was just relaxed or that it could be the alfalfa hay. It doesnt seem to bother him at all, and he has always been just layed back easy going and gentle. It bothers me because i want to make sure he doesnt have something stuck in his nostrils or have a displaced soft palate etc. Thanks

Hello, and thanks for getting back to me. Apologies for the delay.

As this condition has been present for some time, and seems to be getting worse, I doubt that it has anything to do with his feed or just being relaxed (although I do know some horses that snore when they are asleep or sedated...!). Also, if something were to be stuck in his nostril, it should have been dislodged over this long amount of time.

It's a very strong possibility that your thinking is on the right track, as far as a displaced soft palate, but also, we can not rule out the possibility of what is known as "roarer's syndrome", otherwise known as pharyngeal paralysis. This is a condition where the muscles of the larynx have a nerve dysfunction, resulting in a partially paralyzed or inactive vocal cord, and the condition always involves the left side. The reason for the dysfunction is due to the recurrent laryngeal nerve slowly dying at it's end, and eventually the entire nerve can degenerate over time. This would account for the sound you are hearing to be getting worse, as more of the nerve dies off.

Normally, exercise intolerance is also associated with this condition, but all horses don't "read the book" so to speak, when it comes to certain medical conditions. My advice to you is to consider having Sway's throat and surrounding areas analyzed through the use of an endoscope by your Veterinarian. If your Vet doesn't have one available, check with other horse clinics, or have him evaluated at a University Teaching Hospital if there is one conveniently close to you. An endoscopic exam is relatively quick and inexpensive, requiring only mild sedation with the horse standing. There is a simple surgical procedure that can be done to correct the problem, where the vocal fold is basically tied back into the throat in order for sufficient air to flow through the airways. I can think of no other condition that would be causing this problem, unless there is some type of congenital abnormality within Sway's throat, which again, should be able to be easily diagnosed using an endoscope. It would be best to have this done sooner rather than later, since the condition is worsening and could start to affect his ability to breathe normally.

I hope that I've been of some help to you, but please don't hesitate to ask any further related questions.

All the best to you and Sway!

-Dan C., DVM.

If you are correct was this caused from him being so parrot mouthed, or what other things seem to cause this disease? And is there anything i can do to help it so that it doesnt get any worse until i can get him to a vet. I really cant tell if he gets tired sooner while riding him because he is such a laid back lazy horse anyways lol One more thing can i send you a video of him in the morning and let you listen for yourself? Thanks so much

Roarer's Syndrome is not associated with parrot mouth, it is a genetic abnormality. It usually affects males, often (but not always) taller breeds such a Thoroughbreds. I have seen it affect all breeds, although most commonly in taller breeds. That said, I wouldn't rule out the parrot mouth deformity to also cause an abnormality farther into his throat. Again, an endoscopic exam would diagnose this.

Yes, a video would be great! There should be a link for you to send an attachment above or near your text box.

-Dan.

ok i will send you a video, thanks so much

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to it.

can i send a video i have on my phone to your email? Its not letting me download it on here for some reason.
I meant to tell you that he makes this noise it seems to me when he is exhaling

Thanks for the additional information. That coincides with the medical description of Roarer's.

-Dan.

Good Morning:

Sorry you're having problems uploading the video. Unfortunately. I'm not permitted to use personal contact information. Please contact customer support for help with the video. If you are still having problem, let me know.

-Dan.

One of the moderators contacted me and recommended uploading your video to http://tinypic.com/ Then you can let me know your account information and I should be able to view it there. Hope this helps.

-Dan.

It will not upload on that sight either, i tried it twice. Oh well i will try and get him checked out by a vet. Thanks

Sorry this has been a problem. You also might try https://secure.photobucket.com/login If that still doesn't work, I hope you can get Sway checked out with an endoscope for a diagnosis. If you have the time, I'd appreciate knowing the findings!

Many thanks,

-Dan.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM