Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

I have a gelding (ex stud) who we sent to a wounded warrior…

Customer Question
I have a gelding...

I have a gelding (ex stud) who we sent to a wounded warrior project due to his exceptionally calm manner. They contacted us that they were having ulcer issues with him (treated him twice with Gastrogard) but he wasn't really improving. we brought him home did another round of Gastrogard, but I he is definitely still an unhappy horse (he also cribs). Are there any over the counter meds that will help that wont' suck my purse dry? Most vets seem to disapprove of Maalox and Mylanta, but there seems to be quite a following in the internet in unsupported use.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the horse bleeding a lot?

He has bleeding at the center. My vet has just been treating him based on prior history, he has not scoped him yet. We'd have to travel 200 miles to A&M.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name and age?

He is was born 2002. Lee

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name?

Lee, though what does that have to do with anything?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lee?

He is out on 8 acres but has access to a round bale of Coastal Burmuda 24/7. He is fed Equine Senior, gets a cup of Rice Bran, and recommended dose of Strongid C and Glucosamine daily

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
12/27/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When he was treated with gastrogard, did you do a whole tube a day for 30 days in a row?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian